CS3 colours not matching Windows environment?

peter_k4

Hey all! following up from this thread a few weeks ago

http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00Qmig

So I'm just starting to step into the world of colour spaces and printing profiles and whatnot. I've made a few

prints after editing and sending them directly into costco and while they're pretty good, the colours are a bit

off and I want to start working with profiles

Anyways that's not the issue I want to address at the moment and I think solving the issue below will help my

printing anyways. The problem is I'm seeing some colour discrepancy between CS3 and viewing in a windows

environment (MS picture and fax view, desktop items, explorer. etc.

So I'm shooting in RAW, after I edit things in lightroom/PS I'll save the image as a minimum compression JPG

(quality 12). The trouble comes after when I go to view that jpg, it looks less saturated when viewed in windows

than CS3. I don't do anything different. I take the jpg file I previously worked on and open it in CS3 and I take

it and open it in picture and fax view/explorer and it's always less saturated than what i intended when viewed

in windows, and it look just like I left it last when viewed in CS3.

Clearly this is an issue cause the only viewing medium anyone will have to see my pictures (other than print) is

on their computer and it will 99% of the time be seen over the internet or in windows default picture viewer. I

want them to see the full colours I intended when processing the image in photoshop. I haven't adjusted any of

the default colour spaces or anything in photoshop: it's set to North america general purpose 2, and sRGB

I have scrutinized looking at pictures side to side at the same magnification one in CS3 and on in picture viewer

and the picture view one is ALWAYS less saturated than the CS3 (correct) one.

I figure it must be a photoshop issue since the images all look the same when viewed in any picture viewing

program other than photoshop *shrugs*

hopefully this is a common rookie issue that I simply haven't read about yet.

thanks all

-Pete

Work with sRGB so the gamut matches between ps and windows,

There will still be problems as IE is a non color managed application. I have colors come up perfectly with Safari on my Mac and when I look at them with IE, the pic looks totally different. It is hard to believe unless you have them up next to each other at the same time.

http://regex.info/blog/photo-tech/color-spaces-page3/

read the page 3 and then the others.