Crystals in E-6 developer and expiration of C-41 chemicals

Hello,

Just got ready to prepare a batch of E-6 chemicals, and noticed and iceberg-like

chunk of chemical in the developer.

Is it still good?

Also, I have 9 full C-41 kits sitting here, and 8 additional developer kits.

None have printed expiration dates except two boxes of developer. Does this

stuff really expire? If so, in how long from manufacture?

Keith

Keith,

my experience is that unopened chemicals have a very long life. When opened, if kept cool and in gas covered bottles (I use argon from the local hardware diy store - it's sold for diy welders) it seems to last for a long time. My experience is that 1 part of the developer, part b for flexicolor kodak c41 and part b for Fuji RA4 are less stable. If you can identify the least stable of the parts, you can decant these in to small glass bottles to prolong their life. I do not know what has gone in your E6 but would suggest a gentle warming and stirring. If the crystals do not disolve then do not use the solution. As ever do not take chances with important negatives.

OK, here I go, yet again. ALL developers have an unlimited life if you do this. Do this. Do this. Do this: Get clear, brittle

plastic bottles (water, juice, soda). Fill with developer (ANY dilution, yes ANY) to the brim. Must fill to the brim. Cap securely. I have kept the developer (RA-4 for color paper which I also use for color negs) for over three years without the SLIGHTEST decrease in efficiency. This type of plastic is virtually like glass: impervious, at least from the standpoint of oxidation. The only real hassle is the fact that as quantities decrease you will have to constantly transfer the liquid to smaller bottles. I have a variety of these bottles (50 ml liquor bottles to 600ml soda bottles. I even have really tiny glass bottles holding 10ml to 35ml). Measure accurately the ml capacity of the bottle with water. Also, powder developer will also last indefinitely and, for powder, the bottle does not have to be filled completely, just cap securely. This will, for once and for all, stop concerns about 'how long will the dev last'. Hope I helped.

I have had a couple of occasions in which I got crystals in the FirstDev concentrate. Thorough shaking of the bottle got the crystals redissolved, or at least the majority of them, and then mixing the working solution provided enough additional water to dissolve anything that was left. I noticed no change in performance in one-shot use. Remember that FirstDev is simply B&W developer formulated to evenly develop the three layers of emulsion in E-6 film, so it's not all that sensitive to much other than oxidizing.

Now, if it's big enough to sink the Titanic, you might want to consider replacing it.

Van