CRT's are definitely better than LCDs for image work. That said, I'm using as LCD - the only reason is that here in Taiwan, it's now impossible to buy high end CRTs. In fact the only CRTs available are old stock that hasn't sold. Ironic considering that Viewsonic is a Taiwanese company and they still make great CRTs here in Taiwan - they just don't sell them here,

I am not sure a CRT are better, (if whe compare excellent CRT VS excellent LCD) but i prefer

to get a *cheaper* CRT if i dont have the extra money to get the best LCD. there is too many

cheap LCD around iand i think that people compare those to CRT.

I have a LCD monitor myself, Apple Cinema Display 20inch, i am a professional

photoretoucher and i will never go back to CRT. Of course i calibrate my screen every month,

not because its a LCD, because i want color management.

Patrick, what you said is true - I was generalizing in my statement. I probably should have been more specific, but I posted it just after getting home from work. You know how it is. I probably should have prefaced it with - at a similar price point, CRTs are better. Most (all?) of the sub $500/600 LCDs are 6 bit screens.

<i>Most (all?) of the sub $500/600 LCDs are 6 bit screens.</i>

<p>I just replaced my aging CRT with a Dell 1905FP LCD. It has a Samsung 8-bit display and costs somewhere between $300 and $400, depending on what promotion they happen to be running. It needs to be calibrated with a colorimeter before it's usable for photography; otherwise the grayscale has strange biases and images look washed out. But once it's calibrated it works very well. I think my new monitor displays images better than the old one (a Mitsubishi 900u).

<p>The Dell monitor cost me $322, including shipping and taxes (I happened to luck out with a promotion). At that price for a 19-inch LCD that can do a very respectable job with images, a CRT no longer seems cost-effective. Of course, if you pay $1000 or more for a high-end monitory, you'll probably get an excellent display regardless of which technology you get.

Can anyone point to a good source of current info for comparing the finer specs of LCDs and CRTs to be used for graphics/photography? I'm going to be in the market for new gear, and in reading the numerous CRT vs LCD threads, I'm still confused and want more metrics for the decision process.

Thanks,

Matt

For those of you that recommended the Viewsonic CRT's, do you know if their 21" monitors have individually adjustable RGB guns? What a waste of time trying to find the info on their website, and for some bizarre reason you need a serial number from a monitor in order to download a .pdf user manual!

We have a Viewsonic P815 which has individual RGB controls, along with brightness and contrast. There aren't knobs, but on-screen indicator bars accessed through a lot of button pushing. We also have a Lacie Electron Blue IV. Both give great color, but the Lacie is a little better colorwise and has a much more even illumination and consistent color across the screen. But you can't go wrong with either, I'm be happy to use either one. I have an Eye One 2 colorimeter which can calibrate the Lacie completely automatically, whereas with the P815 I have to punch a lot buttons.

I looked closely at an Eizo L997 LCD recently and have to say it is as good as the Lacie CRT, and possibly a little better, but way more expensive!

I've been looking for information on LCD vs CRT monitors within my budget (not very large, unfortunately), and on the Luminous Landscape forum I found this assessment, written by Karl Lang, "architect of the Sony Artisan, the Radius PressView, ColorMatch, ProSense and many other products": http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=9613&st=3