Crown Graphic Assortment with Ice Cream

<p>It took an awful lot of tweeking to get this to look ok. But there it is, better Ektar 100. <br>

This was shot with the 103mm Trioptar using slight fwd tilt at f~32 1/10 and with a light pink UVB filter to warm it up and knock downthe blue hues in the shade, which this image scanned so blue it was unreasonable. I have one better image less shady forground. </p><div>00UCYx-164725584.jpg.6644e12a408fee5a3aef30f1b7041397.jpg</div>

<p>OMG, the John Muit TRail? Who is Mr Muit? Muir, sorry, it's late. Anyway, this is Fuji Reala 100. Shot with the Crown 23, and using my little 65mm Angulon 6.8 lens that saw a lot of action this last trip. I like images looking down roads and trails. This image doesn't have much pop since heavy overcast and thunder storms were looming that afternoon. Ihave a couple more I'll share when time allows some more scanning. Accordging to my notes this was done at f~16 1/10 using no filters. </p><div>00UCZ5-164727684.jpg.04854dd65a378452f68f2b2f689bc3a2.jpg</div>

<p>Mosquitoes were swarming by this time of the evening. But Imanaged to get out and set up to try and catch some color before I got too chewed up. The ground is quite mushy and makes camera support a bit questionable. But I got a few shots off here with the 103mm Trioptar f~22-1/3 for 1 and 2 sec exposures. The film is Fuji Pro400H. All the while swatting and swiping at skeeters who didn't seem to take deet all too seriously. One issue with that is if you need to get the deet off your hands befiore handling the camera equipment. It melts paint and plastic etc...</p><div>00UCZD-164729584.jpg.489eb4bc224ca740ab796186253f0033.jpg</div>

<p>Pinus balforiana, the foxtail pine. According to me, the most beatiful tree in the Sierra. Even as deadwood. This image is Provia 100 F. It was shot with the Crown 23 using an 80mm Heligon Rodenstock 2.8 lens. Though the first images were recent this is film I had never developed from three years ago. It sat on the shelf for a couple years, I refigerated it for the last year and it came back looking good. The only Problem I find using Provia is I always seem to loose a little bit of cloud deatil in the highlights rather than completely giveup the shadows. As seen here the trees in the distance at least are not completely balck whcih happens a lot trying to shoot slide inthe middle of the day in the mountains or desert. Loss of detail in snow fields is also an issue. But in the first image, before I resized it for posting here, there is complete detail in even the brightest snow in that image, and full shadow detail in the darker areas even though it doesn't look so after I tweeked it. However, said highlight texture in both the high and low values becomes really important when I've had big enlargements made. Esspecially for the sniffers. I like my photos to smell ok...<br>

Better?</p>

<p> </p>

Wow and Wow.. I am always amazed at how nice your images are. Perhaps you're are very careful in all stages.

composition,exposure, development, scanning. Seems you used many different types of film successfully.

I am envious of the results. I also think you could shop your wares... They're a walking invitation to the west.

<p>Gorgeous pictures, SG. Despite the crisp, fine detail the compositions and colors are very painterly. I love all the shots, but the last two are my favorites.</p>

<p>I am dying to know how you exposed the images....i.e. what type of meter (incident/reflected), if at all, and what areas did you meter in each picture?</p>

<p>Since these are all backpacking I used my Seconic 308 which is refelctive and incident. I meter both ways. I also carry a small gray card and meter it lighted and shaded. I meter where available shady areas under rocks, meter the sky for the latitude between etc..., everything I can, and then make an educated guess based on too much informtation. Around the car and day hiking I use an old analog Pentax spot meter which surprizingly to me reads exactly as does my Seconic and I sometimes use both near the car. The Seconic has served me well for years. And when it doesn't work I found out the most common problem with them is the battery contacts, so a little wiggle keeps it going. </p><div>00UCqA-164901584.jpg.7362b7ff632d19025bc5a68a2674ae25.jpg</div>

<p>This is my camp near Taboose Pass where I shoot the Arrow Peak and Shooting Star field image. Note the bug mesh I set up on my hiking polls. Best piece of equipment I ever bought. Gives me a place to relax and get film changed, write a little and just be out of the skeeters for anap or whatever. A little peace if you will. This was shot on a Holga outing last year, but I stayed in the same place this last trip. It's up the side of a hill far above the trail with a small seasonal brook nearby over by the flowers where I was shotting. </p>

<p>Thanks John. Yeah the Sierra tends to lend itself to photographers in many ways. For lack of a better term, it's ussually a feast for the eyes for those of us who enjoy mountain landscapes. Getting those eyeball meals from mind to film is another thing entirely. But that's what I've been trying to do, to offer a little bit of the effect those scenes have had on my psyche over the years. I think occasioanlly I've been successful, and getting comments from some folks here that my compositions draw them in, lure the eye, stuff like that, suggests my ideas and the way I try to see things on film are along the right track. I use a few devises to accomplish this when available and I can get 'em into a frame. I'm still wondering how in heck I can relate to you all the spicy aroma of the high mountian meadows, or the piney smell of the warm lodgepole forest, and the feel of the sun reflecting heat and glare off granite and snow. And you'll need quite a few mosquitoe bites and sore feet to fully enjoy the Sierra in mid July... And I probably need, as Bob suggests, a couple more filters in my kit that in all honesty I'd rather not carry on said sore feet. </p>