Cropping at the viewfinder

Discussion in 'Wedding and Event' started by arnell_umali, Apr 12, 2004.

1. Hi,

I'm a hobbyist who has been asked to shoot for a friend's wedding
    (not the main photographer, of course). For personal work (mostly
    35mm format), I normally try to use the entire frame. However, I know
    that when couples asked for prints, they also want them in sizes
    other than that similar to the negative aspect ratio (e.g. 5x7, 8x10,
    etc). Hence, I would like to ask the pros on the list how much do you
    crop at the viewfinder (especially for candid/pj type shots). TIA.

2. Interesting question. I have a tendency to shoot important shots three times or more. I zoom in and fill the frame, I pull back and make sure there is space above, below or in horizontal - on the sides to crop when printing 3 1/2x5, 5x7 and 8x10. 4x6 and 8x12 will include the whole frame. <p>I still like the images where I shoot tight and those shots are often used as 4x6 size in albums - 2 to 4 on a page. The rest are easily reprinted in any size. You have to leave a little more room for a 8x10 vs a 5x7. I indicate in the proof albums when a shot can not be an 8x10 but can be an 8x12.

3. The rule of thumb for planning an 8x10 print from a 35mm neg is as follows:Always leave room at ends of groups for an extra person at each end,and leave a head's height extra vertical space above.This allows the crop to occur with only the loss of blank space,not parts of the people.

4. Steve - Good way to do it! What is your rule of thumb for 5x7's -- 1/2 person on each side in a group would probably be enough...and a half a head for 5x7?

5. ray

ray

Replace your viewfinder screen with a BrightScreen with 5x7 and 8x10 crop lines built in. Now there is no more guessing -- just look at the crop lines in the viewfinder as you are composing.
    For most 35mm cameras you will need the "H" crop (half way down the page):

6. Mary:the way I shoot for either 5x7 or 8x10 crop is spaced about the same.