Crop Suggestions

Discussion in 'Leica and Rangefinders' started by r s, Feb 7, 2007.

1. r s

r s

Not the most interesting photo in the world but when I had scanned it I realized I felt like cropping it and tried a number of versions.
    Would be interested in seeing other take on what they would do as it's always interesting to learn different ways of 'seeing' and this may be an ok image to try it out on.

Taken with a Leica M3 and Summicron 50/2.

[​IMG]

2. Hmmm, there are numerous options as to where to crop a photo of a polar bear in a snow bank......... let me think about it a minute.

3. A simplification . . .
    00Jr1m-34853184.jpg

4. Sorry Rich, can't see any image on the screen I'm on at the moment..

5. I like the "uncropped" version.

6. Take 1/3 of the distance between the left photo edge and the leftmost window off of the left side of the photo; and then, 1/2 of the distance from the bottom of the 2nd story cantilever and the right edge, off the right side. Or not.

7. Rich, Here is my take.
    00Jr3W-34853684.jpg

8. Take one
    00Jr3t-34853884.jpg

9. Take two
    00Jr3v-34853984.jpg

10. File 13.

11. another version for f 13...
    00Jr4R-34854384.jpg

12. actually i like mine the best

13. r s

r s

Interesting - and different takes on cropping.

Here is one:
    [​IMG]

14. rich i think thomas already did that one...

15. awahlster

awahlster Moderator

TRY round it will fit in the bin better that way

16. r s

r s

Skeeter, yes I just noticed :)

17. r s

r s

Mark, I'm sorry if this was taking anything away from your precious time - but your thoughtful comments are always appreciated.

18. Should be darker, to empasise more the lines & shadows. Seems to me the horizontal lines demand a longitudinal composition. The three windiz is a nice pattern. the shadow on the left has a nice imposing presence. And the scooter & it's shadow give it personality. Don't like the "neighbourhood", so I burned it a bit. S'my contribution.
    00Jr82-34856084.jpg

19. This is one of those kinds of photographs I hate. I have lots of them hanging around on my
    hard drive that I'd like to trash, but somehow can't. They don't make my heart pound, but I
    can't let them go, probably because they're not totally devoid of merit.

On the whole I think I like the original best. It seems unless a crop clearly makes the image
    better, or fixes something that's keeping it from being great, it makes more sense to stick
    with something closer to what you saw in the viewfinder in the first place.

20. Then there's the full longitudinal Monty:
    00Jr9g-34857084.jpg

21. Whoops again
    00Jr9i-34857184.jpg

22. Another square one

23. How about a crop with a twist and remove the dangly bit?
    00Jr9u-34857484.jpg

24. Sorry, I'm learning. Another try?

25. r s

r s

I really like Maciek's version

26. That's very kind sir, thank you. Pity I cannot get it to display in spite of beling below 511 pixels. Anyone tell me what the trick is? Maciek

27. r s

r s

Try adding a title to it

28. Thanks. Let's give it a try. I promise this is the last one.
    00JrD7-34858684.jpg

29. None of these crops does your photo any justice. Problem is that busy and distracting dark street scene at the bottom. This is a no no for journalism, but for illustration here I have gotten rid of the distraction, and suddenly your composition, elsewise, seems good.

30. oops here it is

31. Rich, I think this is a fine composition as is. I'd just take off some excessive distraction off the right hand side. And keep it a bit darker overall to give the wall more texture. Then it works very well for me. Cheers.
    00JrFS-34859084.jpg

32. I'm voting with the distinguished Mr. Keith Goldstein, and go for the uncropped original.
    <br>Leave that picture alone! (It's fine as is.)

33. Rich, IMO no one on this forum needs to give you advice on much of anything having to do with your images. However, that said, the shadow on the left adds nothing. I would have included more of the street scene or shot the scene when the sun was not so harsh or maybe even consider shooting the scene vertically?

34. similar to a couple of the above but keep the wheels

35. r s

r s

Thanks for the various takes on the photo.
    It triggered a question I had about cropping and if there is a line to cross when cropping is not 'acceptable' in some area (editorial vs personal appreciation of an image) - where that line is and who draws it.
    I placed my rambling here - LINK - and just wanted to say thanks for the thought and the cropping versions.

36. take 1
    00JsZS-34886784.jpg

37. It is interesting: in a thread like this you really can see who has a feeling for compositions
    and who has not.

38. Roland, You make my day. LOL.