Crop sensor camera upgrade

Brian Murphy

I am considering a camera upgrade from my Canon Rebel T5i, to a 7DMKII or 90D. Is there really a big difference in image quality from my rebel to the other two cameras? The autofocus on the T5i is not the best but I have survived with it. The other advantage with the other two cameras would be the frames per second. The lens I use most of the time is the Sigma 150-600C. My full frame camera is th 6dII and it serves my needs.

Please let me know what you think.

Please be safe during this corona crisis.

Brian

I have have no experience with any of these three cameras.There are are many websites that compare and contrast the specs of the 700D to the 7DMKII and to the 90D (and probably the 7DMKII and to the 90D too). The jump from the 700D to the 90D in years is 4 times as long than the jump to the 7DMKII. So it's no surprise that these jumps have correspondingly smaller (7DMKII) or larger (90D) differences in specs - including FPS. Whether the newer 90D specs also translate through to higher image quality, I can't say.

I would say that if I was now thinking of upgrading a 2013 APS body (700D), I think I'd be looking more to upgrade it to 2019 APS technology (90D) rather than to 2015 APS technology (7DMKII).

Mike

I am considering a camera upgrade from my Canon Rebel T5i, to a 7DMKII or 90D. Is there really a big difference in image quality from my rebel to the other two cameras? The autofocus on the T5i is not the best but I have survived with it. The other advantage with the other two cameras would be the frames per second. The lens I use most of the time is the Sigma 150-600C. My full frame camera is th 6dII and it serves my needs.

Please let me know what you think.

Please be safe during this corona crisis.

Brian

• Like 1

Except for any upgrade in terms of numbers of pixels per inch (More pixels, up to a point, are good), the real difference between the "Rebel" and the fancier APS-C lines is in the 'operating system'-- that is to say in the controls.

I, for one, find the XXD cameras and the other more top of the line APS-C format cameras to be much better to use, but that's what I was imprinted on and it makes operation of my so-called "full-frame" cameras and my APS_C cameras compatible.

• Like 1

Looks you would go from 18 megapixels to 20 megapixels so a bit of a bump up in resolution that good. There will be a big bump up in focal points going from 9 to 65 all cross type focal points. The 7D MK II will be a nice APS-C upgrade, going to have more Pro like features. The 7D MK II has a faster shutter speed going to 1/8000 sec, the Rebel only goes to 1/4000. The 7D MK II has a USB-3 so downloading photos will be faster than the Rebels USB-2. You will also go from a Digic 5 processor to two Digic 6 processors. The 7D MK II has GPS, I use this a lot when doing travel photography, It is a nice feature when taking a trip Coast to Coast and I can switch over to the map tab when reviewing photos in lightroom and find where each shot was taken. The 7D MK II has built in Wi-Fi, I used this feature at times with my old 6D and occasionally on my 5D MK IV. The 7D MK II will have better weather sealing.

You will find a nice camera performance bump up. It is like the Pro version of the crop sensor cameras. The focus points will help in wildlife and bird photography, sports and even street photography..

Good luck.

Cheers, Mark

Here is a

for wildlife. I think it scares me. According to that reviewer DSLR shooting will stand on tiptoes and stretch to hopefully get a great shot with spray & pray, since AF seems to get pushed to its limits and works a bit better in live view. If working that way is your thing, maybe uprgrade. To me buying such a camera (for a 150-600!) seems a huge compromise or "relationship with planned emotional obsolescence", since it should be frustrating enough to keep us dreaming of a MILC with animal eye AF.

I'm wondering: Why do you need a crop body at all (or at least: "behind that long zoom")? The 6D II has the same AF module as the 80D, right? Your lens doesn't resolve much. Do you see an advantage when you use the T5i instead of cops from the 6DII? If that one is barely noticeable (while pixel peeping), I'd dig out a wide zoom for the T5i and keep my wallet shut.

The majority of a 90D's 32MP should be just data junk hogging up your PC (as long as they aren't needed for pixel binning during denoising. - IDK when you are shooting.)

• Like 1

Many of us feel a full "kit" involves having an APS-C camera for telephoto reach (that 1.6X factor) and a 24x36mm sensor camera for shorter lenses, especially wide angles.

Of course, cropping and such is always an option, but sometimes it's just easier to get it in the camera.

Delhi-Jami Masjid

with 17mm on 'full-frame'

India-17mm-on-5Diii-Jami-Masjid.jpg.fe8eec6e13c3fc5d154c2ba3bb84c00f.jpg

with 100-400mm on APS-C body

India-100-400-Jami-Masjid-e.jpg.085180a7581b0a4103b74962c08195bb.jpg

:p

• Like 1

the real difference between the "Rebel" and the fancier APS-C lines is in the 'operating system'-- that is to say in the controls.

I agree. Years ago, I upgraded from an XTi to a 50D, and for me, the biggest change was the ergonomics.

The xD line has clouded the picture. Up until the 90D, AFAIK, the xxD models went most of the way but not all of the way to xD ergonomics. In particular, they lacked the joystick. the 90D has a joystick. Many people think the two lines have now converged and that the 90D is the replacement for the 7DII.

• Like 1

Here is a
for wildlife. I think it scares me. According to that reviewer DSLR shooting will stand on tiptoes and stretch to hopefully get a great shot with spray & pray, since AF seems to get pushed to its limits and works a bit better in live view. If working that way is your thing, maybe uprgrade. To me buying such a camera (for a 150-600!) seems a huge compromise or "relationship with planned emotional obsolescence", since it should be frustrating enough to keep us dreaming of a MILC with animal eye AF.

I'm wondering: Why do you need a crop body at all (or at least: "behind that long zoom")? The 6D II has the same AF module as the 80D, right? Your lens doesn't resolve much. Do you see an advantage when you use the T5i instead of cops from the 6DII? If that one is barely noticeable (while pixel peeping), I'd dig out a wide zoom for the T5i and keep my wallet shut.

The majority of a 90D's 32MP should be just data junk hogging up your PC (as long as they aren't needed for pixel binning during denoising. - IDK when you are shooting.)

You raised some good points especially with the file size. But this is why I ask opinions of people in the know. I do like the crop sensor reach. i had to giggle at the comment about standing on tiptoes to get a photo. Nope not me. Thanks for your input.