Critique on my website (landscape photography)

berenos

<p>Dear all,<br>

After many years where my only photography web presence was on sites such as here, Flcikr and 500px, I have finally decided to launch my won website. I have decided to only focus on landscapes, and the entire photo selection trajectory was quite brutal. Many photographs I always thought were good enough, failed to pass the critical sharpness cutoff now. But i also discovered some photographs which i never bothered to process. All in all it meant editing all photographs from scratch, of which the greatest amount of time was spent on cloning dust spots!<br>

Anyhow, I have used Zenfolio to host my portfolio and I have played around with their templates until I found a layout/theme I liked.<br>

I would like advice, if possible, on the layout and ease of navigation. In addition, I would like your opinion on whether or not it bothers you, that in some cases, there are a couple of photographs from the same location and even taken in the same light.<br>

My site can be found on http://www.berenosphotography.co.uk<br>

Thanks in advance,<br>

Camillo</p>

<p>Camillo, you have some wonderful images there--especially the B&W stuff (that's what I like to do most, so I am partial!). One quick comment...across the top, the word GALLERIES is covered by the last three letters of the work Photography--at least that's how it shows up on my screen. Overall, I thought the website was well done. Maybe you could trim some photos that are similar, but that didn't bother me excessively. Good luck!</p>

<p>Daniel, thanks for the kind words. <br>

I had a look and I indeed noticed this exact problem when on a smaller screen. I think I have solved this now. Thanks a lot for pointing this out, I had not seen this myself!<br>

Kind regards,<br>

Camillo</p>

<p>Camillo,<br>

Although certainly no expert in web design, . . . I did like your site!<br>

The simplicity of its presentation and navigation makes it all very attractive to me.<br>

My personal favorites would be the "Scottish" landscapes.<br>

Everything seemed to be in order. I found no instances of one text layered over another, no obvious misspellings. (And I did not look extensively.)<br>

Images loaded quickly and, it was a pleasurable experience to look through your fine landscape images.<br>

Thanks for the invitation! And, best wishes for much success!<br>

Jim j.</p>

<p>Hi green photog,<br>

Thanks for your time and feedback. I agree with you that the watermarks are large. I have never been a fan of watermarks and have not used them until recently. The reason I started using them is because I found out that quite a lot of my photographs I had posted on Flickr were posted on Tumblr or Facebook, almost always without hotlinks or appropriate attribution. Now it at least easier for people to see where they can reach me if they would wish too.<br>

I'll see what I can do with watermark tough. It should be small or transparent enough to be visible but not too distracting, which is a dificult trade-off..<br>

<br />Thanks again!</p>

<p>Camillo</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>Thanks so much Thili.<br>

I will look into the speed issues you described.<br>

I have deliberately chosen not to have a slideshow on the front page. Hopefully visitors will click through to the gallery of their choice, where slideshows are available. With slideshows on the main page I always feel it can do more harm than good. What's the point of showing people photographs of Switerland if all they were interested in were Scottish seascapes? <br>

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment, much appreciated.</p>

<p>Camillo</p>