Crit : What are you shooting ?

Last summer I came to visit an artist who runs a shared ceramic studio in San

Francisco, near Cow Palace. It's in a postwar industrial building turned an artists'

harbor, where you also find a piano rebuilding guru, a dancing school, painters and

also sculptors.

I was framing and metering aimlessly at some kind of an installation art at the

flourescent lit windowless hallway. Then I heard footsteps, and here she came. I

quickly took a few steps back, trying to include the walking her; she noticed me and

was wondering what I was taking, then I pressed the button.

I wouldn't have taken this photo if she didn't come into my view; the picture would

have been very static if her left foot wasn't blurred by a 1/8 sec shutter; had the lens

been 2 stops brighter then I might have cranked up the speed and froze her motion;

of luck, all the right things happened. Somehow I also find her attention to the piece

of art (if you agree it is ...) kind of curious.

I wish I had brought with my own FG and loaded with Tri-X, because this borrowed

Bessa-T was already half way thru a roll of Portra VC 400; the green cast of the lab

print almost made me believe it is a signature of a fully-opened CV 28mm f/3.5, but

soon I realised it was from the flourescent lighting; can't live with the wierd color, so

the negative scan was desaturated by PhotoShop, and contrast adjusted; no

sharpening.

And if you ask, I didn't request her to walk for my photo. This was not staged.<div>007eGk-16978384.jpg.e11726630b9eb869b463b58ee1ceddf6.jpg</div>

Maybe it gets so windy in the building that they need the rocks to keep the TV from blowing away?!

Sorry, but I think it's just OK. Fine technically (nice job of desaturating BTW), but not a knockout. The blurred foot notwithstanding, it's still a static picture--her expression & body language don't convey anything special to me.

Haha, if only we can have security photos that you can really recognise somebody :-D That was actually an on-going installation under the theme "quake", and it's the Bay Area ...

I guess we're expecting something more bizzare from an artists' harbor in SF; sorry to disappoint you guys, but you will have different ideas if you were there : the place is lively, esp during open studio sessions in weekends. Not much I can do to the very flat lighting, but I can do better with the desaturation. I'll be back :)