Creating Stereographic Projection Photographs

ben_p1

<p>Not sure where to post this, but since I'm using a Nikon camera I figured this is as good as anything.<br>

Onto the subject, I was wondering how to create Stereographic Projections.<br>

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereographic_projection">Wikipedia</a><br>

<a href="http://gizmodo.com/5221879/stereographic-images-of-tokyo">Examples of Stereographic Projections</a></p>

<p>Joe Templeman of Flickr posted <a href=" Hugin Stereographic Tutorial guide</a> on how to do it. I'm hoping for tips, camera setup or experience that you guys wouldn't mind sharing as well<br>

Shooting with a D2X, a Sigma 8mm f/2.8 DX Fisheye lens and mounting the camera on a Ninja mount (which has degree markers for panning and tilting.) Camera setup and Processing is what I'm most interested in, is there a certain tilt and pan used when making these, should I take 12 photos or just enough to cover 360 degrees? And when stitching this images together, does anyone know of Mac software or a PS plugin that can do this? (I'd really like to know if it can also handle bracketed shoots or if I need to merge them before stitching.)</p>

Thanks for all the help I can get, I have a general understanding of what to do but I really prefer hearing from people rather then reading a guide over and over again.

<p>Hi Ben.<br /> What a coincidence. Right now Im at ART BASEL Miami sitting on the media room having a coffee ,checking my mail and the photonet forums and see your thread. when just minutes ago was talking to a JapaneseAmerican photographer who had some of this type of pictures as part of his exibition. While much more elaborated because the pictures were taken at night and the buildings he used for his panorama were not adjacent to one and other originaly but rather stitched together on PP, the principle is the same and we had some time to discuss it.<br /> So if you are ready I will tell you the basics and you can go from there to your creativity content.<br /> (USING PHOTOSHOP.do this)<br /> (although many use panoramas a regular wide capture would do the trick too.)<br /> 1st .... check the horizon and make is sure is perfectly leveled, *tip ( using the crop tool on PS run a selection that goes all the way from let to right parallel to the horizon line. and then expand it so it covers your tallest estructure on the pic and some room for sky if you have any.) crop. you should have a perfectly leveled rectangle.</p>

<p>2nd... Select Image>Image Size from the menus. Uncheck ‘Constrain Proporties’ and set the “height” to the same value as your “width”. Next, rotate the image 180 degrees. Image>Rotate Canvas>180 <br /> <br /> 3rd... Choose Filter > Distort > Polar Coordinates , select the “Rectangular to Polar” setting. <br /> After this just rotate the resulting image to look the way you want it. <br /> You have a lottle planet. <br /> PS would you show us the results? <br /> Regards. <br /> J.A.R.T.</p>

<p>By the way if you decide to use a stitched panorama , make sure you shoot with the vertical orientation, like for a portrait. take rather several pics instead of wide ones for less distortion and then stitch.<br>

or use 1 really wide one and process the same way. compare and see what you like better.</p>

<p>Thanks for the input Jose!<br>

I found a Google Group that helped me through Hugins.<br>

I made a stereographic projection last night, didn't go so well since I'm using an old Bogen tripod and I think it's time for a new tripod.<br>

Oh, I used Hugin to compile the panorama and then Flexify to convert it to a stereographic projection.<br>

Hmmm it doesn't seem to work so well so small, I had to dodge the deck a lot simply because it was smashed together so much.</p><div>00VBPb-198147584.jpg.83cdb95ac5c8fb0d619244647a8ddbc5.jpg</div>