Creating Borders in Photoshop CS2

I've noticed that many of the photos posted in the Critique Forum

have simple, yet attractive borders around the picture and may even

include the photographers name/date (for example,

http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?

topic_id=1481&msg_id=00Em18&photo_id=4008968&photo_sel_index=0)

Can anyone tell me how to create borders like this in Photoshop

CS2? Thanks.

From Tim Grey's explanation in his DDQ mailing list... He first describes how to do it using Photoshop's "Stroke" feature:

To create a stroke, you'll first want to convert the Background image layer to a normal layer by double-clicking it and clicking OK in the dialog box that appears. (Or you can just duplicate the background layer) Then click on the "Add a layer style" button (it has a script "f" on it) at the bottom of the Layers palette and choose Stroke from the popup list. In the Layer Style dialog box select the options for the stroke. Be sure to set Position to Inside, and then set the Size and Color as desired. Note that if the stroke is outside the image, you won't see it (unless you're working with an image within a larger document) because the stroke will appear outside the document area.

The other method is what I use when I want to create a border around the outside of the image easily, which is particularly the case if I want a relatively thick border (and don't want to sacrifice too much of the image in the process). This method requires that you keep the Background image layer as exactly that (there are ways to work around doing it the other way, but we'll keep it simple here). Start by setting the background color in the Color Picker on the Tools palette to the color you want the border to be. Then select Image > Canvas Size. I recommend checking the Relative checkbox and then entering values for Width and Height that define how much you want to add to the canvas, rather than entering new dimensions for the final canvas. For example, you might enter 1 inch for both with Relative checked to add a one-inch border all the way around the image. When you click OK, the canvas will be enlarged with the new area filled with the current background color. This is also a great way to create a multiple-mat look for your images by adding more than one border in this way in succession, changing the color for each step.