.CR2?

owahc

I took my Canon out to play at the weekend and took a few pictures. However,

when I uploaded them to my PC some of them were saved as .CR2 instead of .jpg.

Can anyone tell me what this means and how to convert to .jpg? I tried changing

the extension of the file but it doesnt work!

Thanks

K x

.CR2 is the extension for a Canon Raw image file. Youcan download Adobe's free raw convertor (converts raw image files to the .DNG open standard).

Then convert with a camera raw processor. Or, you can use your already avalible software that came with your Canon when you bought it (DPP I think is its name). (or--read your camera's manual? that usually helps a lot.)

Kimberly; Check your camera settings if you where getting jpegs and are now getting raw you must have changed the setting on the camera. My Canon is a 20D so may be different to your Canon but on mine if I hit the menu button the first item on the list is " Quality " this allows for several file sizes for jpeg plus several options for jpeg plus CR.2, or just CR2 which I suspect your camera is now set on. Just switch the setting back to jpeg if that is what you like to shoot.

Kimberly;

If you have two files with the same file number for each image then the camera is set on CR2 plus jpeg and you only have to change the setting back to just jpeg. I will attach a screen shot, note that there are two files side by aside with the same file number.<div>00Ns0Q-40733384.jpg.ef2d7c95d05a5e1217d2250261bd3e98.jpg</div>

Well so long as the camera is now working in the correct format the only thing lost is the bother of having to convert the Raw files into jpegs. As was mentioned by others, you camera included canon software or any number of other RAW converters will to the job for you.