CR2 to Tiff

raydon

Can someone PLEASE help me with a problem I have with my Eos-1 ds I usally

save my images in the largest JPEG but decided to try a few in the RAW format

I have changesd the camera to RAW but when I put/read the card on my computer

and on the laptop the picture extension is TIFF on both computers I did take

two pictures last year in CR2 and they are STILL showing as CR2 on the

computer any help please

Ray, the raws will ALWAYS show an extention of CR2...this will never change. What is expected is that you create a TIFF from the RAW, but the RAW gets left alone, never to change. It could be you created the TIFF's but forgot in what folder you placed them.

RAWs are like negatives...they don't ever change.

Have a read through this:

One other area where I believe that Canon has made a mistake is that unlike with the D30 / D60 series, on the 1D and 1Ds file extensions follow the Kodak convention of giving RAW files a .TIF extension. The problem is all other programs see a file with a .TIF file as a standard TIFF graphics file and so its very easy to accidentally load and then resave a file, thus totally corrupting it. This really should be changed.

found here: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/1ds/1ds-field-4.shtml

I did not quite get your question, but if you use original 1Ds (not 1Ds Mark II) the files do indeed have extension TIF, but they are not TIFF files in earnest, they are RAW files. You need to use raw image converter such as DPP or CaptureOne or Adobe Camera Raw to open them and convert to real TIFF.