CPU Throttling - A Consideration Before a New Purchase

Apple announced that CPU slowdown in their 2018 laptops was due to faulty firmware regulating temperature of the CPU. High temperatures caused the CPU speed to be reduced as a protective measure. The problem has since been corrected.

Why does every startup problem have to be a sinister conspiracy?

Edited by Ed_Ingold

First, if you examine this all out, throttling is a good thing in some cases! Better that than over heat the CPU. Next, it's been 'fixed' largely so this is all a lot of Apple FUD to ignore. So yes, Yawn....

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

I'm a bit at a loss as to how Apple missed it...and also think that if they'd sacrifice a millimeter of case thickness they could make things cooler(Apple laptops tend to run at the edge of safe temperatures anyway...) but I'm glad that it WAS a software issue that they could fix.

First, if you examine this all out, throttling is a good thing in some cases! Better that than over heat the CPU. Next, it's been 'fixed' largely so this is all a lot of Apple FUD to ignore. So yes, Yawn....

Of course it is better to throttle than to burn out the CPU. It is even better to design the computer not to over heat and have to throttle. Yes, I realize you cannot avoid throttling under all conditions, but this case seems egregious.

Although this Apple problem was caused by faulty firmware, it begs the question how did the computer with the faulty firmware pass a development stress test in the first place. I assume Apple bothered to stress test. The problem calls Apple's test protocols into question. Either that or marketing concerns overrode test.

The main thrust of the article (at least to me) was not that Apple, and Dell, and HP throttle their computers, but that they specify a minimum speed of the CPU that is significantly faster than the speed they throttle to. In other words this a problem with not only truth in advertising, but also truth in specifications.

Last Apple was not the only manufacturer cited in the article. Both Dell and HP were also named.

Of course it is better to throttle than to burn out the CPU. It is even better to design the computer not to over heat and have to throttle. Yes, I realize you cannot avoid throttling under all conditions, but this case seems egregious.

Egregious how? Considering you agree with the premise above.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)