Covering edges of a stretched canvas

<p>I've got an image printed on a canvas that I'm about to stretch tonight. The image will exist only on the front of the canvas; the sides will be covered by the wide border canvas around the actual image. When I had the image printed, I wasn't sure how I wanted to finish it. Now that I've decided to put it in a floater frame, I would really like to have the sides of the canvas be darker than the stark white of the bare canvas. What's the best way to accomplish this?</p>

<p>The canvas has a spray coating on it, so I imagine painting the canvas my desired color is out of the question. I've seen some large paintings that have a black, tape-like substance wrapped around the edges. I think this would look fine, but what kind of tape is best to use? Nothing I've got in my utility cabinet at home, I'm sure. This image will be sold (hopefully) in a gallery, so whatever I do needs to look great and last a very long time. No black duct tape.</p>

<p>I should add that the perimeter of the canvas is about 10 feet. I'd like to find something less expensive than black gaffers tape, if possible.</p>

<p>Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Next time, I'll put a border of my desired color around the digital image before I get it printed.</p>

<p>Those sprays used on canvas prints are acrylic based and can be painted on with acrylic paint.<br /> You may want to spray another coat of the protective coating on the image and the edges after they're painted just to give the whole thing some consistency. It's not necessary though.</p>

<p>Peter</p>

<p>I've seen similar things done using strips of wood. I haven't tried it myself, but I assume the strips are either glued and/or tacked to the sides of the frame. I guess the down side is that some woodworking and painting skills are required to pull it off. Or, if the frame is a standard size, you might find a thin metal "assemble yourself" frame that would fit the photo.</p>

<p>Phil, woodworking skills aren't a problem for me. I'm already making a custom floater frame for the piece, which is why I want the exposed edges to look nice. I just don't want them white because I want them to blend into the recess between the canvas and frame. Covering the edges directly with wood or another frame would defeat the purpose of the floater frame.</p>

<p>D.B., curious that they don't say how much tape is on that $24 roll...</p>