Could shooting with a G10 at 9MP have given me a "Faux G11"?

vrankin

<p>The G10 and G11 have similar Digic IV processors and lenses. Mimicking a G11's approximate resolution, my G10's 9MP shots seem to have appreciably less noise than those shot at 14.7MP, though they also seem a bit softer from the lower resolution (like the G11 samples I've seen). Asking those who have technical knowledge of sensor technology: am I actually decreasing noise, by decreasing resolution? And might I be at least somewhat close to a "Faux G11"?</p>

<p>Shooting at reduced resolution won't help. Shooting at full resolution and applying noise reduction software will reduce noise and reduce the amount of detail in the image. Whether it would then be close to a G11 image I couldn't say. Presumably when the G11 becomes available there will be lots of online discussion of how it compares with the G10.</p>

<p>Thanks, guys - I'm going to just shoot @ 15 MP raw and let the market hype go by for now.<br>

Me too. *I* think the G11 may produce a *better* out of camera jpeg..who knows..and I'm not sure I care. You can get so wrapped up in the internet chatter that you forget that we bought these gadgets to take pictures. *I* might change my mind but will wait until the G11 has been out for 6 months or so....</p>