Could I be damaging my own prints inadvertently?

Today, as I removed some inkjet prints from the drying rack, placed them in an

archival storage box, and placed this in my filing cabinet, it occured to me for

the first time that my particleboard / "foil" finish <a

href="http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40103685" >cabinet</a> must

certainly release chemicals that might harm my prints.

My prints are stored in archival boxes (some also in archival sleeves), my film

negatives are in archival sleeves and collected in plastic binders. These are in

the cabinet described above, which I bought only a couple of months ago to

replace a markedly less attractive unit. Am I counteracting my own conservation

efforts by keeping my storage containers in this environment? If so, what would

sort of drawer unit would be best?

<i>Am I counteracting my own conservation efforts by keeping my storage containers in this environment? If so, what would sort of drawer unit would be best?</i>

<p>

Yep, almost certainly. Wood containers, especially those made of plywood and/or chipboard, outgas like you wouldn't believe. For years. Even hardwood will depending on the finish.

<p>

Best storage is from metal containers painted with a paint designed for the purpose. But museum level storage ain't cheap:

<p>

http://www.draftingequipment.com/DEW/products/filing/mayline/maylinemuseum.htm

I use a 4 drawers cabinet for files like the ones in offices. It does a very good job. I also add to them some small pocket of silica to absorb moisture (you can replace them or use the ones that come into small rocks that you renew in the oven. Any other material than metal will contain products that evaporates with time and can dommage your prints or films. Take good attention to your boxes because some times the paper they aure made of can also transmit volatil products, be sure to use acid free boxes.

I hear that anodized metal is very stable. There's a lot of that out there, file cabinets etc.

You could coat the inside of the cabinet with some kind of stable finish but it's probably more trouble than it's worth. It'd be more worth your time to just spend the money on a better file cabinet -- remember, anodized.

Wilhelm Imaging has a web site with lots of data about this kind of stuff, plus a free downloadable book they wrote some time ago, with all kinds of data.

Good luck!