Cost of Canon i9900 Printer Head

william_h._wiley

Can anyone tell me what a new printer head costs for a Canon i9900 printer?

I've tried everything to clean the head, but 2 colors won't start up again.

Also, if you have sent a printer head back to Canon, we're they able to clean

and return it or just advise you to buy a new one?

Thanks for your comments.

Bill

Not sure of Canon's repair policies or print head prices (sorry), but you might want to

try <a href="http://www.fixyourownprinter.com">fixyourownprinter.com</a> first. I got a

head cleaning kit for a clogged Epson. Also got a kit to fix an HP LaserJet which wasn't

feeding paper properly. This was a year and six months ago respectively. Both are still

working great.</p>

<p>BTW, now I know to print something at least once a week. <em>Anything</em>. Just to

keep the heads from clogging.

<em>"... Printing an image once/week or even more often is a lesson that I will

practice from now on, too. It's too much of a pain when things go wrong..."</em></p>

<p>Sure is. Plus, I don't know about Canon, but Epsons won't (can't?) run the nozzle

cleaning procedure when the ink gets too low in <em>any</em> cartridge! I had a clogged

black nozzle, but I couldn't run the nozzle cleaning routine until I replaced the light

magenta cartridge! </p>

<p>Good luck with the printer. If you decide to try to clean the print head yourself,

please let me know how it works out.

I seem to recall they are around $100. Canon i series printers are very finicky about using cheap inks. I learned my lesson, having to replace a print head several years ago. I always use Canon inks now. I find the results are better and no trouble with clogs or most anything else.

The comment about one a week use is well taken. You would be able to get away with not using the printer for a couple of weeks occasionally, but do it too often and you're asking for trouble.

Steve

Thanks for everyone's comments. FYI, my printer is 14 months old and I forgot that an optional maintenance warranty could be purchased within the first 12 months (stupid me!). I have used the printer quite a bit (maybe 15-30 8x10s/week), but that's only a rough guess.

In this case, I'd printed 13 borderless 8x10s and then 2 of the colors started going bad. As I'd read about on several websites (including Neil Slade's), I ran the usual standard cleaning and deep cleaning, and then took the head out and cleaned it with distilled water and denatured alcohol, then very lightly blew compressed air on the heads. But after several attempts at this, I still couldn't get 2 of the colors to come through at all.

Today I called Canon and found out that a new head for the i9900 costs $89.54 plus tax. That includes shipping. I guess I can handle that, but the lesson learned is that it's critical to run a sheet every day or two through the printer just to keep the heards from drying out.

Interesting point, Bob. I hadn't heard or read anywhere that all of the cartridges have to have ink in them before a cleaning cycle can work, but it only makes sense. I try to watch my ink levels pretty carefully.

Hope all this helps someone else avoid this situation.

Bill

Actually, the price for a new Canon print head is listed as $499, but I got mine for $389, and

I've seen it at Staples for $329. It doesn't clog, and you can let it sit between print jobs. And

when you replace the cartridge, they'll have new heads too. And did I mention it does better

B&W than the original?

The part number is HP 8750.

Bill,

"I wonder what the deal is?"

Maybe the Canon head is a Canon refurbished head. Really, I don't know, but it sure is a better price than the one from the company I had the link to. By the way, I bought a Canon i950 print head from that company just before Christmas; no problem ordering from them.

Now-- that head is clogged (the cyans). I think it's because ink has a shelf life and the quantities I bought were just too large. I was refilling the BCI-6 carts for about 13-cents a piece and I refilled them many, many times; at that price you can print like crazy. I think factory carts have a "use-by date" on the package which perhaps is for the reason mentioned above. I'm going to attempt to clean this head and use Canon cyan and photo cyan carts. If it works, I'll buy the rest of the Canon carts and go on from there; which may be buying some fresh 3-rd party ink, but in much smaller quantities. Generally, these inks have worked well for me. However, I think the ink age-factor is very important--and frequent printing, too.

Good luck.

Roger

Roger: Good point about limiting the age of the ink used. I'll remember that one.

FYI: I called The Canon parts dept again this am to verify the price of the "print head" I ordered the other day. After seeing the aforementioned prices other people were talking about, it made me think I might have ordered the wrong thing.

Canon verified that the print head for a !9900 is a plastic cartridge holder, with separate slots for each of the 8 carts. Inside, it has the 8 small white sponges for absorbing the ink. In addition, it also has the ink nozzles on the bottom.

So, I ordered the correct printer head for under $90. I don't know what part others are referring to for the $250 - $350 price, but that's the story directly from Canon. Besides, how/why would Canon list their price as $499 when that's the cost of the printer itself?

This has been a good discussion for me. Thanks for sharing your insights.

Bill

"Besides, how/why would Canon list their price as $499 when that's the cost of the printer itself?"

That was a joke. If you check again, you'll see that the part number listed by the poster (HP 8750) is the model number of a Hewlett-Packard printer. The poster was subtly suggesting that you junk your i9900 and buy the HP to replace it.

Incidentally, I have a 4-year-old Canon S9000, and it often goes weeks between print jobs. I only use Canon brand ink, and I've never run a cleaning cycle, and it's never had a single clog.

I'm waiting for the first user reviews of the Pixma Pro 9000 when it's released this fall, to decide between buying one of those or getting an i9900 at closeout prices.

• 4 months later...

Bill,

I have two Canon Printers - The i9100 which I have used now for over two years, and the i9900, which I recently purchased.

Your problem is not a new one. I have experienced the same thing on a number of occasions. For the record, I have had it happen more when I was using Canon ink tanks than when I was using bulk ink for Canon BCI-6 tanks, which I buy at $60-80 a gallon. (I print a LOT!)

I want to share something I discovered, that may be of value to others out there - How to clear a clogged head, or determine if the head is unsalvageable (time to replace). I am still using my original head on the i9100, so I know this works.

I have had very limited success with the cleaning/deep cleaning routines built into the printer maintenance. Before I knew anything about the internal workings of these Canon printers, that's what I used, but when the heads plug, as you've experienced, Bill, it usually never helps.

If you use Canon inks, at $12/tank, remember the ink is about $4800 US/gallon, and you are filling up the absorbent pad in the bottom of the printer at a rapid rate, which will cause more problems down the road. Many Canon users have experienced the 'waste ink tank full' message, which without knowledge of the proper maintenance procedure and routine will result in a trip to the nearest Canon Service Center, and a rather large service bill, just to have the felt pads replaced and the internal counter reset.

To perform the manual cleaning, one will need at least one ink tank filled with cleaning solution. You can purchase cleaning tank cartridges, and bulk cleaning solution in various sizes online. (I have six tanks filled with cleaning solution that I use in my i9100)

Keep in mind, that this type of cleaning is being performed when nothing else works, and is done at each individual user's risk. That said, when the nozzles are plugged, and you're faced with replacing a head, what have you got to lose if it doesn't work?

Also be aware that you need a work surface that won't be damaged by ink, and wear gloves if you don't want to stain your fingers.

Remove the head from the printer (all 8 tanks must be removed first on the i9900 - the i9100 head removes with the tanks installed). Install the cleaning tank in the position of the clogged nozzle. (In the i9100 just snap it in place. Hold it firmly in place over the ink pickup on the i9900 head) Place a folded paper towel on your work surface to absorb the cleaner/ink that will come through the nozzle.

Next, use a small air bulb (as supplied in many ink refill kits) and insert the tip into the air vent hole of the cleaning tank. Squeeze the bulb to lightly pressurize the cleaning cartridge, which of course should force cleaning solution through the nozzle. Solution/ink should start to flow easily through it. If excessive pressure is required, or very little fluid flows through the head, and no improvement can be made after several attempts, try wetting a paper towel with cleaning solution (I have even used 'The Works Glass and Surface Cleaner for this part) and placing the nozzles flat on it to soak for a while (keep in mind that you must keep the head and ink pickups from drying out during this time, or you'll just create a new problem! It's easy with the i9100, since you can leave all the tanks installed - not as easy with the i9900, since there's no tank carrier on the head, so I put a liberal quantity of cleaning solution on each of the open ink pickups, and keep an eye on things while it soaks). After the nozzles sit on the wet towel for a while, try the routine again. If the nozzles still seem plugged after one or more attempts, consider replacing the head - it is probably your only option.

• 3 years later...

<p>I realize this is an older thread, but I have the same issue with apparently a clogged head from non-use.<br>

<a href="../photodb/user?user_id=2299175">Norm Millsap</a> seems to be quite the guru, and cleaning the head myself is preferred.<br>

I removed it, wiped it's face off with wetted paper towel of <strong><em>alcohol,</em></strong> reinstalled the inks,<br>

but the head warning came back. </p>

<p>I may try the deep soak method, and see.<br>

Not sure what type of cleaner is being used as what comes in a kit, so if that is known, great...<br>

Thanks.</p>