Correct the wording in the "Critics Circle"?

beepy

When you go to "The Gallery" where you see the latest subscriber's photograph, there

is a terribly misleading section on the lower left:

<blockquote>

Critics Circle  <strong>New!</strong>

<p>

Look at the highest-rated photos of this week's featured critics:

<p>

Mary Ball<br>

Nana Sousa Dias<br>

Marc Gouguenheim<br>

Bailey Seals<br>

Seven Stuartson

</blockquote>

First of all - no, it is not new. Why mislead all the new subscribers? Second, it is

<strong>every</strong> week's featured critics - it never changes.

<p>

Can someone just edit it and make it correct?

<p>

And who the hell is Bailey Seals?!?!?

<p>

:-)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And who the hell is Bailey Seals?!?!?

"And who the hell is Bailey Seals?!?!?"

This is a timeless question... with no answers!!

�[� Z , mar 30, 2004; 06:47 a.m.

One of life's great mysteries.

�[� Z has answered your question for you, but there's no mystery to this one. Even a novice can do 1+1 and come up with 4/4. For those of you who think it's illogical, that 1+1 = �[� Z + who is Bailey Seals, get a life. �[� Z is a problematic mentality of photo.net. Ain't no critic life there - just a load of numbers. Who cares if they're exponential.

Nawww...critics aren't new - these ones are just living off their historical reputation. Kinda old hat.

Back to the original topic, I tried their very useless information, and the e-mail one is supposed to write to if one is interested in joining or creating a new circle is stale (i.e. bounced back because "account does not exist").<BR><BR>

Not to mention there is only one way of getting to that page (that I'm aware of). Any up-to-date developments in that, other than "wording"?

<<Sounds like a plan, James. Good luck finding one that doesn't involve insulting people.>>

4/4.

(Actually, here's a good plan: go around rating 10,000 digi-shots in an emotionally catatonic state. That's Mr Jenoptik to you, Mr Seals. You don't know me to call me on first name terms.)

Sorry Jimmy, didn't mean to bruise your ego so badly. Good luck in whatever world of

politesse you live in -- maybe they have a photo website that only allows 7/7s. You and "Y

Z" -- who deleted his images rather than let the hoi polloi rate them (a concept he wasn't

clear on when he started uploading, apparently) can go there and pat each other on the

back and tell each other how wonderful each other's photos are and how awful and evil are

the people who dared say that some of your photos were average ....

Puppydogs and lollipops and sunshine: what a wonderful world it must be.

Ya know, I was just sort of joking about the Bailey Seals thing - didn't mean to start

the flame war. Sorry.

<p>

That said, �[� Z, I added a new folder "Pittsburgh" that awaits ratings. Now I'm really

off topic - I'm curious about your rating strategy, so I won't say more, but may have a

comment/question after you rate folder. But don't do anything different than you

would normally do! (I know this is all sounding weird...:-) Sorry.) And don't rate if you

don't want to!

<p>

Oh yeah, and now back on topic. Yes, the concept of the critics circle seems really

good - and I too wonder why it stalled. It would provide balance against the tyranny

of the masses.

[sorry - off topic again - sincere apologies]

<p>

Now rated - my philosophical question is - does it matter that pictures were

produced with a pinhole lens?

<p>

Probably not - composition is composition in one sense. But the effects obtained

with a pinhole lens are different - I'm wrestling to think of what subjects suit it.

Cemeteries came to mind immediately - but maybe not good at all.

<p>

Still thinking.

Some of you are confused. There are both critique circles and critic circles. Both were good ideas. Neither were maintained. Both died from neglect. Fortunately, there are other interesting ways to see and react to images and the photographers who upload them.

I was noticing some confusion - I was referring to "Critic Circles".

<p>

If they died - someone should remove the body.

<p>

I guess the "critic circle" can be created by viewing top rated pics by those that

critique (rather than comment) on photos? Is there a way to determine who the top

critiquers of photos are? by the way? I didn't see where to determine that.

Bailey Seals is a highly educated and extremely gifted critic who has managed to incorporate the braille system into his use of photo.net. Cleaver man, but occasionally his secret reveals itself.

His enemies and friends (both of them) know him as Z. Ah, excuse me, I meant both friends and enemies. I think. :^)

Steve, how many insulting posts by you have been deleted by moderators on this site? Why

do you pretend to be lighthearted about me yet try to get digs in whenever you can? Can't

you just chill out? Can't you grow up, please?

Hey Bailey, here is the deal. You enjoy rating ALL my photographs (before anybody else) even though I have politely asked you (twice) not to. I enjoy rating you as a rater, even though it displeases you. It has nothing to do with growing up and everything to do with you leaving me alone. Get it? You obviously are an educated man who insists on having things your way. In real life this is a dangerous trait that will prevent you from being all you can be. At 68 and retired with three very succussful businesses I am on the down hill slide and really don't give a rat's posterior. If you don't like my fun and games, stop playing the game. Simple.

Hey Carl, er trying to drag the kids back on topic:-)

<p>

So, my first question was simple - is there a way to determine the top raters (by sheer

count) on photo.net? Is it true that (I won't mention his name) has given the most

ratings? One would posit that people who have rated a bunch of pictures learned

something along the way that may be of interest (reflected in their top ratings).

<p>

Second, the distribution of ratings would indicate their ability to decide the good

from the bad from whatever perspective they choose (well, it might also be

meaningless - but let's not go there).

<p>

Your observation on number of comments... Hmmm... simple packages do a quick

analysis of a section of text for grade level:-) So, statistics on the comments may

help mine some "critics" worth tracking.

<p>

I'm assuming the resources don't exist to keep the "Critics Circle" under human

management - but even if a person was available, some DB analysis tools could help

them in their job...

Carl raised THE Question... we are dealing here with subjectivity and art so there will be always somebody to complain and most of the time with a valid reason... <p>

the more people to comment, the more differents opinions, the best IMO...<p>

or may be... I have a suggestion here ... why not set the ability for each of us to give a mark to another member from 1 to 7 for the general quality of their comments/critics (for their ratings it is almost impossible since we do not have access to each others' ratings'file).

Steve, you can ask or demand or whine for specific individuals not to rate your photos but

in the end by uploading you agreed to let anyone rate on photo.net, and if your request is

denied you need to get on with your life and stop the inane, chilidish insults. Get a life,

dude.