Corporate event hourly fee - what to charge?

Hi,

I was asked by event coordinator of a large clothing company in New York City about my hourly rate to cover events and town halls. He saw me at another event and loved the event work on my site.

He asked for my hourly rate for events lasting 2-6 hours. What pricing structure do you charge and is there a minimum amount of hours you bill for? Should I counter by first asking them what their budget is?

Do you have different rates for the first couple of hours in case the event is only 2 hours?

What is your post-processing fee per hour?

Do you charge separately for national/international usage?

Do you charge differently for different events or charge a flat fee for every event?

Some have more degree of difficulty such as a corporate headshot session so I am careful to just name one price.

What kind of words do you use not to lock yourself into that rate?

I have 20 years experience in the news business as an employee and I am transitioning to more corporate work. I also specialize in portraiture and own my own lighting equipment. I find it refreshing to do event work as it is a nice change from the news business.

Thanks.

I don't have a different hourly rate for events based on length, but I do have a minimum number of hours (3 for most events). Language-wise I simply say that until a retainer is received and contract is signed, the rate is subject to change. Once they contract at that rate, you are locked into that rate. If you're concerned about someone hiring you too far in advance that your prices might change, put a limit on how far in advance you can be booked for such an event.

I include post-processing in the rate I charge. It's simpler for the client, plus it looks less like you are charging them for every little thing. You've been doing this long enough to know what your post-processing flow is like, so you can charge accordingly.

Different events are covered in different ways. I do not offer an hourly wedding rate, they have to get a minimum package. Other events are shot and treated differently, so their rates may vary from one event type to the next. Event photography is storytelling, while corporate portraits are something else entirely.

In my experience, event photographs are the copyright of the photographer. If a client wants rights to use the photos, a secondary conversation must take place regarding the extent of the use and who will own the rights to that usage. Giving them complete control and no photo credit should cost a lot more than you having photo credit and a say in how they are used.

. . . I was asked by event coordinator of a large clothing company in New York City about my hourly rate to cover events and town halls. He saw me at another event and loved the event work on my site. He asked for my hourly rate for events lasting 2-6 hours. . . I have 20 years experience in the news business as an employee and I am transitioning to more corporate work.

He asked a closed question.

If I were you I would (have) respond(ed) to that question by beginning a negotiation conversation.

The questions that you have asked are all good questions; and responses from working photographers will assist you in designing your Pricing Structure, but I think that one necessary Skill's Set that you need to acquire is that of an understanding of Selling and Negotiation and have a broad range of Selling and Negotiation skills (and any necessary hardware) ready to use, anywhere anytime.

What kind of words do you use not to lock yourself into that rate?

Avoid answering the Closed Question about "rates"; Begin the Conversation of Negotiation; Extract the Brief; Provide a Specific Quote for that Project.

WW

• Like 1

Frankly, if you want to transition from an employee to managing your own gigs, you would benefit from a broad understanding of the business side of photography.

I recently bought this book: [LINK]

I have a vast library across many decades of publications and there are very few which address the business side of photography. if you live and work in the USA, then it would be ideally suited to your position, today, and probably a tax deduction.

WW

Note - I have no pecuniary interest with the author or the book, other than me initiating my purchase of it.

Thanks for your very wise advice, William. I will order that book. Your comment about avoiding the closed question about rates was spot on and "negotiation" triggered a memory of a book I bought years ago but never read thorougly.

I am now reading "The Photographers Guide to Negotiating" by Richard Weisgrau. Amazing book.

I asked a friend who does a lot of this kind of work and he said he used to charge $250 an hour in NYC. He will offer slight discounts for retainers. He now charges based on specific projects.

He also said a lot of other photographers he knows have undercut his prices and that has affected his business.

How is this reply to query about rates:

My fees usually depend on the project involved. I usually determine fees based on the description of work needed for the event, the time it takes to shoot the event, expenses related to the assignment(if any), post-processing time, and scope of usage for the photographs.

My base shooting fee is $250 an hour with a two-hour minimum.

Could you describe the types of photos required from the events and town halls?

Do you have any examples of successful event coverage that met your requirements?

What is the typical scope of usage of the photographs?

How soon after the event are the images required? What format will you require the images to be delivered?

I look forward to working with you. I offer the reliability, reputation, and photographic skill I have acquired over a 20-year career.

• Like 1

I am glad for you.

Thank you for the reference to the book concerning negotiation that you already have. I shall investigate it.

Although the title of Chadwick's book specifies ‘wedding photography’ – the application of much of the insights, experience and advice is either generic or can be modified to suit other ‘events’ and other ‘clients’. As I mentioned there are (technical legislative) sections which offer a broad understanding of a USA business applications; but it is easy to see the parallel (and thus the use) for other countries/states, that have similar business; legal; government / bureaucrat and taxation systems.

The best negotiation bible I have read is You can Negotiate Anything Herb Cohen. I re-read that book regularly: it is a treasure of practical wisdom.

As a general and all-round benchmark for getting one’s head into the zone, I recommend The Psychology of Winning Denis Waitley. I am not sure if these were ever made into a book . I have the audio and the course workbook. I was worked with Denis when he toured Australia, my Studio covered his publicity Photography: he believed and lived the talk, all the time, even when ‘off duty’ at a bbq in our backyard. A most wonderful human.

There are many (newer) authors and speakers who broach these areas, but Cohen and Waitley were definitive global scene changers, in my opinion.

Good luck on your journey.

WW

Got an offer for 4 hour shoot of people presenting awards and receiving awards at an auditorium. Audience of several hunderd. Is $1250 a good offer for the event? Photos will be used internally and newsletter.

That works out to about $300 per shooting hour, yes? Depending on your workflow, travel time and expense, and how much of that you're taking out for the payment processing (if accepting a credit card) and for sales tax (if you're building that into the fee), you should be left with a decent hourly rate even with post-processing.