Corner sharpness: Tamron 28-75/2.8 vs Nikon 28-105/3.5-4.5

arnabdas

<p>Looking for a "normal" FL zoom lens to use on my N80 35mm SLR for family and toddler shots, I have narrowed my choices down to just the Tamron 28-75/2.8 or the Nikon 28-105/3.5-4.5.</p>

<p>Now to round things out -- corner sharpness is very important to me since I blow-up my film shots rather large and I also have a scanner capable of doing that. I can live with the limited zoom range of Tamron if it has the better corner/edge sharpness of the two. Likewise, I can live with the moderate max. aperutre of the Nikon 28-105 if that happens to be the one with the better corner sharpness.</p>

<p>So, <em>between the Tamron 28-75 and the Nikon 28-105 -- which has better corner sharpness on 35mm film/FX?</em><br>

<em> </em><br>

<em>.</em></p>

<p>I have used both on FX - D700. On my copies the Tamron had better corner sharpness. On film I don't know. The Nikkor was not as good at 28mm as my 28m f2 AIS Nikkor which is soft in the corners. Have you considered the 28-70mm f2.8 Nikkor, bigger and heavier but I suspect better than the other two.</p>

<p>Carl, thnaks a lot! Inputs based on first-hand experience are always great to have. You said "<em>On my copies</em>" and I do understand the subtle nuances of sample variation.</p>

<p>Though you speak from D700 experience, as I understand it -- FF digital vs 35mm film performance with regard to corner sharpness should be comparable (if not the film being more forgiving). It is vignetting that FF digitals seem to be more sensitive to compared to 35mm film.</p>

<p>"<em>considered the 28-70mm f2.8 Nikkor</em>" -- yes, I did, for a fleeting moment! Then I also considered the cost and acknowledged the financial infeasibility in me buying that one. Given that it would be used exclusively for family shots while my serious "thing" is closeups -- I'm not ready for that kind of investment yet, unfortunately.</p>

<p>Film should be more forgiving. The 28-105mm is a very nice lens and may just be all you need. I loved the build of mine but it was a bit heavy. 28mm is a very important focal length for me. Bjorn writes highly of the little 28mm f2.8 when working close.<br>

<a href="http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html">http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html</a></p>

<p>I would honestly say that when trying to get good sharp shots of a toddler running around the corners will be the least of your worries. I have the Tamron 28-75 2.8 I can't coment about the corners as I have never looked that closely on them. I mainly use it on my D80 but the few rolls of B&W film I have shot with it seemed to be nice and sharp but I was not paying attention to the corners.</p>

<p>Here is a review of the lens I it is of some use.<br>

http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/418-tamron_2875_28_5d?start=1</p>

<p>I've used the Tamron 28-75 on a Canon 5D and <em>if you get a good copy</em> it's a lens that's up there with the best. I've emphasised the "good copy" because I've had a bad experience with a very decentred version of this lens and had to return it.</p>

<p>Anyway, at 28mm the corners are quite soft with a lot of light fall-off, but they sharpen up quite well on stopping down. As you extend the focal length the corners get much better. Central sharpness and contrast with this lens are outstanding at all apertures and focal lengths. Based on my experience with other zooms in this focal range the Tamron is one of the better lenses, and performs well above its price.</p>

<p>obviously, you're not going to have corner sharpness at open apertures since DoF is so shallow. but since you asked, i've been meaning to try the 28-75 on an FF camera just to see how it stacks up -- i've previously used it on DX and no complaints. so here's a shot with D3s at f/8 in Aperture-priority mode, ISO 1600, 1/100, 75mm.</p>

<div>00YYUs-347517684.jpg.e8d133ebe2a40e435b8aadfee2b7ebde.jpg</div>

<p>Hello Arnab.<br>

I don't believe there to be a great difference(corner sharpness) in the two choices you have listed. Both do well but not excellent.<br>

I would choose according to the other attributes.<br>

I do prefer the discontinued aperture ring/screw driven version of the Tamron. Snappier IMO.</p>

<p>Best of luck.</p>