Coolscan Problem 9000 ED

neil_grant

Cynically, it's a odd 5 pin switch unique to Nikon that has to come from Tokyo for £45 + £12 delivery.

Equally, you should be able to find something suitable for ~£4.... (EDIT...or maybe NOT:()

I've got a Coolscan 5000ED I occasionally use, the switch has that click-in to latch and click again to release. Should be a very simple ON-OFF latching switch.

EDIT. (Pic 4) Is that a bizarrely long push rod going the full length of the body to a far-off circuit board, with a small spring half way??

It might still be the switch at the far end of that pole which has failed, and you should be able to find a replacement of some sort relatively cheaply if you don't care about it being a perfect fix. Nikon really didn't want anyone getting electrocuted, did they? I remember the good old days of an idiot colleague trying to turn on a bare PC AT power switch with damp hands. (For young whippersnappers, before ATX, mains power ran through the switch. Which never went wrong...)

Looks like the power switch is the grey PCB-mounted one with an orange plunger. Also looks like it's a latching type (push-on, push-off).

Chances are the latching mechanism has gone faulty.

Get online and search for PCB mounted latching switches. I'm pretty sure you'll be able to find something similar, if not identical. Make sure it's mains rated - 120v or 240v AC, depending on your region.

Another alternative would be to discard the stupid foot-long plunger and mount a simple 2 pole rocker switch on the back panel, with mains-rated wire running back to the PCB.