Coolpix Dropped on Concrete (Nikon lens Error, completely screwed)

spacky._galker.

I droped my Nikon Coolpix L3 on a concrete surface from about four foot in the

air, and it keeps flashing the "Lens Error" message, and the lens has become

stuck. When I switch it on and off, it whirrs and clicks, as though something

in the camera is jammed.

Any ideas on how I can get it back in?

Or is it pretty broken?

Please please help me here

xox

Incidentally, I changed the thread title. Originally, it was only "Nikon lens Error, completely screwed" and I thought we were talking about a lens malfunctioning.

If you drop a Coolpix on concrete, essentially we are talking about repair by Nikon or replace. Otherwise, I doubt that anybody can give you useful suggestions without access to your damaged camera.

I dropped a Sony DSC-S70 years ago, and the same thing was happening, noises, error, etc. Since it needed repaired I thought what the heck, so I pulled the lens out manually, after turning it on and it tried to itself, and it came out, and my daughter has been using it ever since with great results. It focuses fine. Turn the camera on, let it go through the boot up, and then try and pull it out. Good luck.

Try this. Very gently pull out on your lens while turning on the camera. You can do this by getting your fingernail under the front cover where the little protective doors close. Don't pull too hard or the entire front cover of the lens assembly might pop off. If this doesn't work I would just replace the camera. The cost of repairing it would be about $150.00<div>00Go4I-30369884.JPG.dc56ca4e93dbbf7f1dd6f45d32dba003.JPG</div>

• 4 weeks later...

The SAME THING happened to me! I bought my camera May 6, 2006 and dropped it June 8, 2006 (a Nikon Coolpix L3). ON CONCRETE FROM ABOUT 4 FOOT IN THE AIR! for the first and only time I dropped it. Same thing- LENS ERROR- and the Lens won't close.

I sent it back today to the Nikon service center in New York. From my initial email inquiry before sending back, they said it would be between $87 to $117 to fix, and 12.50 shipping. I paid $180 for the camera.

I'll let you know how much it ends up costing.

Too bad they're so delicate.

Sheila

• 10 months later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread but....

It just happened to me, I tried all the above and none of it worked....eventually I was just going out to replace it and thought...well it doesnt matter if I just break it more...so I pushed the lens in as much as I could...it closed and the camera worked fine :)

Thats me ?80 better off than I would have been :)