Coolpix 4800 broken zoom mechanism

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by patty_caya, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Hi,
    I have a Coolpix 4800, a point and shoot camera with 8.3 zoom and I recently dropped it with the lens out. When I dropped it the zoom was out and the camera broke. I now get a "lens error" and the zoom mechanism is stuck all the way in.
    I have already been told that it will cost more than it is worth ($125+) to fix and that I should just throw it away. I am opposed to this on a few levels (the unbelievable waste and the added pain of the fact that I actually love this camera as my backup camera when I don't feel like lugging SLR equipment around).
    Just wondering if there is anyone out there who perhaps knows how this could be fixed and restored to it's rightful position as an awesome point and shoot. : - )
    Any thoughtful suggestions greatly appreciated.

2. Buy a used one on ebay and include the broken one in your next electronics recycling drop-off?

3. Patty-
    Most of these P&S bodies have plastic rack and pinion gearing on the lens extender. One good smack and they're toast, usually. I know of personally 4 that were dropped that became DOA PDQ. In my humble opinion, that racking system is THE weak spot in design (albeit needed for the zooming).
    Checking completed ebay listings the last 2 weeks, Nikon Coolpix 4800s sold for $ USD - 26.87, 39.99, 50.00, 50.51, 54.01, 61.00 and two new in box at 99.00 and 100.00. The repair if even possible, will eclipse that. My advice would be if you feel comy with the body, get a used one ... that range of zoom is major still today.
    It was, however, introduced in 2004. As much as you like it for old times sake, many of today's P&S cams really surpass the 4800 with ease and shine in speed of operation. RIP 4800 may not be what you want to hear, but I fear that's the eulogy. I have a busted Coolpix 7600 ... want it LOL ?

( I bought my first slr in something like 1969 0r 1970.
    I bought a 2nd body in 1973 and one in 1974. I did not buy another camera until 1998. That's an improbability in the digital age to occur ever again like that.)

Jim

4. Jim,
    I appreciate your response. I have learned my lesson and will take better care of my next P&S. And for now I will accept the sad fate of the Coolpix. : - (
    Patty