Coolpix 4800 broken zoom mechanism

patty_caya

<p>Hi,<br>

I have a Coolpix 4800, a point and shoot camera with 8.3 zoom and I recently dropped it with the lens out. When I dropped it the zoom was out and the camera broke. I now get a "lens error" and the zoom mechanism is stuck all the way in.<br>

I have already been told that it will cost more than it is worth ($125+) to fix and that I should just throw it away. I am opposed to this on a few levels (the unbelievable waste and the added pain of the fact that I actually love this camera as my backup camera when I don't feel like lugging SLR equipment around).<br>

Just wondering if there is anyone out there who perhaps knows how this could be fixed and restored to it's rightful position as an awesome point and shoot. : - )<br>

Any thoughtful suggestions greatly appreciated.</p>

<p>Patty-<br>

Most of these P&S bodies have plastic rack and pinion gearing on the lens extender. One good smack and they're toast, usually. I know of personally 4 that were dropped that became DOA PDQ. In my humble opinion, that racking system is THE weak spot in design (albeit needed for the zooming).</p>

<p>Checking completed ebay listings the last 2 weeks, Nikon Coolpix 4800s sold for $ USD - 26.87, 39.99, 50.00, 50.51, 54.01, 61.00 and two new in box at 99.00 and 100.00. The repair if even possible, will eclipse that. My advice would be if you feel comy with the body, get a used one ... that range of zoom is major still today.</p>

<p>It was, however, introduced in 2004. As much as you like it for old times sake, many of today's P&S cams really surpass the 4800 with ease and shine in speed of operation. RIP 4800 may not be what you want to hear, but I fear that's the eulogy. I have a busted Coolpix 7600 ... want it LOL ?<br>

<em><br /> </em></p>

<address><em> ( I bought my first slr in something like 1969 0r 1970. </em> I bought a 2nd body in 1973 and one in 1974. I did not buy another camera until 1998. That's an improbability in the digital age to occur ever again like that.)</address> <address><br /> </address> <address>Jim<br /> </address>