Cool DIY camera on the bay

markus.berndt

<p>So he took a Balda and grafted a Zeiss lens to it to make a fixed lens (ultrawide) 6x6 camera. Neat idea but I don't think I'd want to pay that for it. It's got no rangefinder and it only does one thing... now, if you happened to have an extra MF lens and got a parts camera similar to the body used here and did it yourself, that would be a cool thing to show off.</p>

<p>The SWC too has no rangefinder and only does one thing. ;-)</p>

<p>The major problem with this thing is that for the money, you could get an SWC and have money left over.<br>

An expensive botch-job from China, or a less expensive well made bit of machinery... given that choice, i think i know what i would get.</p>

<p>The camera body in this rig functions only as a film back...and as such, is a potential achilles heel for an otherwise great lens. I'd offer 1000. max for this "camera," then acquire a film back of commensurate quality - something like a Linhof Rollex or even a (Ha!) Hasselblad A-12, then graft this together. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>The camera body in this rig functions only as a film back...and as such, is a potential achilles heel for an otherwise great lens.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Obviously from someone so enamored of digital that facts and reality do not apply. Digital sensor have problems capturing images with very wide angle lenses because the angle of incidense is too great for the focal plane. Digital is not the end-all and be-all for all of photography. Only for prostate exams is digital the end-all and be-all. Perhaps that is the only place where digital is the best.</p>

<p>Steve</p>

<p>I didn't get "film vs digital" from that post. I think it was about wanting to use a better film back.</p>

<p>Q.G. - that's a fair point. At least the SWC has interchangeable lenses. Personally I'd rather have a rangefinder or an SLR, something that doesn't make me use a tape measure to focus...</p>

<p>It shouldn't be too hard to put an accessory rangefinder on it to get your distances, but for much less I would think you could get a 2x3 Crown or Century Graphic and put a wide lens on it and a roll film back. I think. Not sure how wide you can go and still have any bellows use.</p>

<p>I guess the appeal here is to have a 6x6 pocket camera w/ a sharp wide angle lens. Just stop it down and not really worry about focusing. Not something I'm in the market for though, and it seems that wide angle lenses might be better suited to a 6x9 format.</p>