Converting DSCN and IMG files to JPEG's

<p>[[Only problem is I no longer have the software. What now??]]<br>

<br>

There are dozens, if not more, software solutions. Some free, some not. Just google "Raw Converter." <br>

But as Lorne says, you can probably download the software from the manufactures website(s). </p>

<p>Sorry, but DSCN and IMG are the filenames usually used inside a camera - it does not tell you at all what kind of file format it is, they could already be JPEG (or RAW, or TIFF...). If you cannot open files, it could also be the files are corrupted, bad memory card. So, what kind of camera do you have, and what setting for image quality do you use on the camera?</p>

<p>Getting better info on the camera and thus proprietary files will be helpful. You might just be able to convert them to DNG, now you have a vastly more open format and if you own Lightroom, Photoshop or Elements, you're set to deal with the data after conversion. See:</p>

<p>http://www.ppmag.com/reviews/200703_rodneycm.pdf</p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p><em>I cannot open DSCN or IMG files.</em></p>

<p><em>DSCN and IMG are the filenames usually used inside a camera - it does not tell you at all what kind of file format it is, they could already be JPEG (or RAW, or TIFF...).</em></p>

<p>Okay, I have a theory: the files may be fine, and any one of many free programs might be able to open then just fine, but the extensions / file types have gotten messed up, and so when you double-click them, the operating system doesn't know what program to use to open them, and when you try to open them from within a program, it doesn't recognize them as files it can open / view.</p>

<p>John does not appear to have told us <em>how</em> he tried to open them, and that may be part of the problem. Go into Photoshop or a relatively modern freeware / open source image editing program (Picasa, GIMP, whatever you like). Do a File -> Open, then in the file types part of the dialog box, choose 'all file types' or whatever you need to do do that the file names show up in the list. Now try opening one. I think there's a very good chance it will work.</p>

<p>Wouter's comment is a good clue. Unless you're <em>certain</em> that the <em>extension</em> is .img or whatever, those names don't tell you anything about the file type.</p>

<p>Or at least, that's my theory. I've seen this type of problem many times, usually due to improper e-mail attaching / attachment saving / downloading procedures stripping the extensions / file type off of PDF's and plain text files. Fix the extension / type and all is well.</p>