Converting D700 to IR, who did your conversion?

mark_stephan2

A true B/W conversion, ie making the sensor monochrome by removing the microlenses and CFA/bayer layer is expensive and a pretty rare thing to do. I think MaxMax are the main offerers of this type. However, you do gain a bit of resolution,

With a colour conversion, AKA Full Spectrum, the easily removable filter stack with the main IR Blocker and the AA filter taken out and the sensor records all wavelengths simultaneously. you may need to put specific filters on the front to block out what you don't want.

If you are handy with small screwdrivers the you can DIY. Try here Life Pixel – Nikon D700 DIY Digital Infrared Conversion Tutorial

However, there is an issue with the D700 using a small IR LED internally to monitor the shutter timings. This can apparently fog long exposure or high ISO images.

I've self converted a D50, a D90 and 5 Nikon J1s. The 1 Series, being mirrorless etc needs no focus adjustment and contrast detect focuses pretty well.

I thought the b&w conversion was just how strong an IR filter they replaced your IR cut filter with. Still color sensor but with a really dark IR filter which eliminates the ability to get "false color" from the camera. I'm interested in this because though I don't have a Nikon, I do have a Canon 5D mk I I'm thinking of converting and I've been to the LifePixel site to look at their prices.

Or do they actually remove the Bayer filter too? That might be pretty cool.

If you pop over to here..

B&W Conversion

You'll see the differences.

Apparently Canon's are easier to monochromatise, something to do with the adhesive holding the cover glass one. It's the next layer 'down' after removing the AA and IR/UV filter stack. It covers the Bayer/CFA etc. It's not meant to come off! Hot-air guns, soldering iron etc...:)

Edited by mike_halliwell
  • Like 1

I picked up a used IR converted D80 about 6 years ago. No Idea what it was. Found out it was a Life Pixel 720nm. Does well for black and white. Sometimes I have to torture the colour out of it. If you want to find out more about what conversion would be best for you... READ THIS...

Infrared Conversions, IR Modifications & Photography Tutorials | Life Pixel IR

• Like 1