Converting a K20D to IR?

william_roberts4

<p>A couple of years ago I looked into this. There were shops that I had found that would remove the sensor filter of most DSLR cameras. I had also found that the DS had a much better sensor for IR right out of the box, if I remember right... I would imagine that the K5IIs would be perfect for IR work too, not now, in a year or so when the price is right.<br>

Here is a link that may help<br>

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/31747-updated-info-removing-pentax-ir-filter-astro-ir-imaging.html</p>

<p>You definitely could, but if you don't mind me throwing out another option. The K-01 is so cheap right now at $350, not including any holiday promotions that might be going on, and using live view for IR work has many benefits. First off, you get focus shift after working in infrared instead of visible light, and each lens shifts a different amount. Both of those links describe it. So, it's nice to have live view and contrast detect AF to retain precise focus. Plus, there is often an exposure offset, which would hopefully be mitigated with the K-01 metering from the sensor and having a live view histogram, although if you have time, you can always just check the exposure in playback. Still, those advantages, coupled with the fact that a K20D could probably still fetch $200 on the used market, might make you want to upgrade. Yes the K20D has live view as well, but you're also stepping up to K-5 image quality for . . . well, if not pennies on the dollar, then it's still definitely dimes on the dollar. It's not as if the K20D has that great autofocus system anyway, and you'll be doing much of your work in live view regardless. The K-01 LCD is pretty bright, and if you need better, just wear a hat to shield it from the sun, or even plop down for something like a Hoodman loupe.</p>