Converter lens for 5060

I'll be going on a fairly long trip and have pretty much decided to

bring along my Oly 5060 and converter lenses rather than E-300 and

heavier set of telephotos, etc.

The 5060, for my purposes on these trips, gives fine results and I

like the wide-angle conversion lens for scenics.

Anyhow, though I already have an Oly C-180 1.7 teleconversion lens I'm

wondering if anyone has experience with a teleconverter of 3x or

higher that provides good results? I don't want to break the bank or

sag my little camera bag, but ideas welcome!

Thanks.

I would be cautious of a x3 tele on your camera which is only 110mm equiv at full zoom, but since it is only f/4.8 at full zoom that is a good point.

My expereince with a x2.2 is that I got vignetting when the x2.2 len's rear pupil was smaller than the camera's entry pupil. This problem has largely gone away with a newer model whose front pupil is the same diameter as the x2.2. I have a fair zoom range before I get vignetting.

Since you already have a x1.7 adaptor I would question that a x3 gives you much more magnification. A better solution is one of the new x12 zoomed cameras available if you budget extends to that. They will also have image stabilisation which is a real boon, if not an essential, when using long focal lengths ... unless you also plan to shoot with a tripod on your holiday :-)

Another angle is that the sharpness away from the centre of the picture is likely going to be much better with the x12 zoom than with a third party adaptor not designed for your camera ... ignore that if it is an Oly adaptor.

JC. Thanks for that very good response. I think you've saved me some money. At the moment I am very happy with the 5060 and probably won't upgrade it. I have a relatively new E-300 and sets of telephotos giving me capability over 1000mm when I really know I need reach and to exercise my tripods...

/ron