Controlling mirror slap in SLRs?

art_doyle

I'd like any tips for controlling mirror slap vibrations in an old

Fuji 801 SLR. It doesn't appear to offer mirror prefire, and there is

no mirror lockup provided.

I'm worried that this problem may detract from achievable performance

when using telephoto lenses.

Is this 35mm format camera? If so, you might consider replacing the foam above the mirror with one of my "custom" designs. My old SLR needed foam replaced, so I did it myself and decided to create a strip with a triangular profile instead of usual rectangular... works like a charm. I haven't confirmed this with tests, but seems to dampen the mirror better than original. E-mail me if interetsed ( photonut1960@sbcglobal.net )

Suggestions:

(i) See if there's really a problem. Shoot a test roll on a heavy tripod at a range of shutter speeds. You can figure out the details yourself, but I'd probably use a flat target and a range of apertures from f/4 to maybe f/16 or 22. If you want to be anal, compare them with the same target, shot with the mirror stationary. (Do this by locking the mirror up and exposing using manual flash-- i.e. with a locking cable release, trip shutter on B, let the camera settle down for a few seconds, pop the flash button, close the shutter).

(ii) If there is a problem, you can also damp camera vibration by using either (a) sandbags on your tripod head, or (b) damping the camera with your hands. Get a copy of Alfred Blaker's 1970s book "Field and Nature Photography" from your library, or off the hated auction site. He studied this in some detail with his Nikon Fs. Camera vibration is often worst around 1/4 to 1/15 of a second, for engineering reasons that are beyond me.

If you're shooting hand-held, none of this applies, of course.