Contemporary pro work with an Agfa Silette

<p>About two weeks ago I ran into a photo book by a german photographer Jens Waldenmaier with b&w landscapes from New Zeeland. The title of the book is "Moments of tranquility" and I found the photos really charming.<br>

In the forword the photographer wrote he made the photos with a simple 50ies camera, so I got curious and mailed him to compliment him about his photos and ask him about the camera. I got a very friendly reply in which he wrote, he used an Agfa Isolette, he grabbed out of box somewhere in a thrift shop for 12 DM, now about 6 Euro.<br>

So it doesn't always have to be a Hasselblad.<br>

Here's a link <a href="http://jenswaldenmaier.com/html/projects/mainProject02/subProject02_01/subProject01.html">http://jenswaldenmaier.com/html/projects/mainProject02/subProject02_01/subProject01.html</a></p>

<p>There is much artistry in the photographs. The MF cameras, stopped down and in the right hands are more capable than modern day Canon or Nikon full frame DSLRs under some conditions. WE must not sound so surprised than an Isolette can be so capable.</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>I am totally new to film photography which is why I have a little question about my <strong>Agfa Silette </strong>(not an Isolette!).<br>

I have to set the film type/speed on the rewind knob. The film types marked on that knob are: 17°, 21°, 25°, CN, etc.. But I put a roll of 200 ISO in it, which would be 24° as I understood it?<br>

Someone advised me to put it on 21°, because the camera hasn't been used in 50 years and this "film type disc" might not be that sensitive anymore. Or should I put it on 25°? Or somewhere between 21 and 25? It is a <strong>Silette Pronto with Color Apotar 45mm lens</strong>, if it would matter. Thanks on advance!<br>

vanden.kevin@gmail.com</p><div>00aT5i-472057584.thumb.jpg.0ad604e9509aefbf663fa418acbf8ca0.jpg</div>

<blockquote>

<p>I have a little question about my <strong>Agfa Silette </strong>(not an Isolette!). I have to set the film type/speed on the rewind knob.</p>

</blockquote>

<p><br /> It doesn't matter what you set that to as it's just a reminder to you as to which film you are using. <br /> The only reason for setting the ISO on the camera is to calibrate the meter to the film.<br>

Most models of Silette, (including yours judging by the picture) do not have a meter.<br>

If you use a separate meter you will need to set it to ASA/ISO 200 or 24 DIN as suggested.</p>