Contemporary portraiture.

So what is contemporary portraiture as it is received/understood and published in magazines and websites? I don't speak about experimental photography I mean near-to-classic but contemporary photography, mostly portraits. If you have any, please provide some samples/examples. Maybe Leibovitz, or... how about Mc Curry? Your opinion?

Three photographers worth looking at are Rineke Dijkstra, Nan Goldin, and Peter Hujar (died in 1987 but I still think of him as "contemporary"), not because they're the best but because they're all interesting and speak with a personal voice. Important to a portrait is character, seen in the subject and seen in the photo, coming from the subject and coming from the photographer.

DIJKSTRA

GOLDIN

HUJAR

Edited by samstevens

"You talkin' to me?"

IHMO contemporary portrait photography (by living, working photographers) is what it is. By restricting answers to photographers that take only "near-to-classic" photos and excluding those that may take "experimental photos", you're pre-selecting what may or may not be 'contemporary portrait photography'.

See:

Best 12

best 40

So what is contemporary portraiture as it is received/understood and published in magazines and websites? I don't speak about experimental photography I mean near-to-classic but contemporary photography, mostly portraits. If you have any, please provide some samples/examples. Maybe Leibovitz, or... how about Mc Curry? Your opinion?
  • Like 2

A mix between the dead-pan post-modern ironically fake unconscious style and the Instagram fashionista hyper super conscious me me me style is what’s contemporary. And you can safely ignore all of it until the next decade comes along with hopefully something better, something truthful, something with soul.

Absolutely, the former seems to be very popular with magazines like BJP and Foam, whilst it leaves me cold.

Saw this exhibited for the first time on it's 40th anniversary and it blew me away.

Handsworth's self-portrait project 40 years on: 'Giving people that voice was extraordinary'

• Like 2

Three photographers worth looking at are Rineke Dijkstra, Nan Goldin, and Peter Hujar (died in 1987 but I still think of him as "contemporary"), not because they're the best but because they're all interesting and speak with a personal voice. Important to a portrait is character, seen in the subject and seen in the photo, coming from the subject and coming from the photographer.

DIJKSTRA

GOLDIN

HUJAR

All the 3 seem like Diana Arbus successors with dead pan influence. Rineke Dijkstra's style seermed flat to me (rendering forms and spaces) and artsy face expressions as well as torn shabby suit coats. But still, thanks for your info.

See:

Yes, but not to Dmitry Ageev. There are some reasons I know their (our Russian photographers like him) "kitchen" where they find commercial models and how they disproportionately use Photoshop, so no to Ageev. Their works are totally undistinguishable. They take pictures for attracting their flock who will be attending their workshops, nothing more. There are about 10 of them here. They like (I say prefer) freckled teen models and do the same. absolutely the same! Once I saw real faces of their models' and I was totally shocked and frustrated with how much PS they apply.

I consider Mc Curry very prominent master so I will look into the rest of the group. Thanks.

Irving Penn has always been the best classic portraitist to me. F$ck Avedon and his schtick. Penn was an actual printmaker, an artist and a craftsman.

I have known Penn since 1998 maybe earlier - since Bee Stung Lips. I love his style. I would not call him modern, contemporary, it is all good old school.

I wonder why nobody mentioned Herb Ritts?

Edited by ruslan

I don't know that there is any particular style that defines 'contemporary portraiture.' For example, I don't think you could look at a portrait that was taken 50 years ago and one that was taken yesterday and be able to identify which is which simply by the picture itself. In the links Mike Morrell provides, there are some stunning images, but I don't see any commonality that would allow you to identify what era they came from. So for me, contemporary portraiture would simply be portraits taken within the last 10 years, to put a number on it.

For example, I don't think you could look at a portrait that was taken 50 years ago and one that was taken yesterday and be able to identify which is which simply by the picture itself.

In many cases, this would be the case. A lot of portraits are made to be, or just are, timeless. In many cases, this would not be the case, because a lot of portraits are made both to reflect the times and set trends. So, I'm not sure I could look at any of the following portraits and not be able to identify the era in which they were taken.

Julia Margaret Cameron. 1866

George Hurrell, 1933

Terence Donovan, 1967

Richard Avedon, 1981

Ryan McGinley, 2005

"You talkin' to me?"

So, I'm not sure I could look at any of the following portraits and not be able to identify the era in which they were taken.

All great shots, and yes, one might be able to guess at the era by looking at specific props, clothing, or hairstyles, but as for a style of portraiture, I'd be very hard-pressed to pick the time frame in which any of the shots was taken. Take the Avedon, for example. The part in the middle of the model's hair might give a hint as to when the shot was taken if one knew that such hairstyles were popular in the 1980's, but if the hair was cut in a crew instead, it would be a wild guess as to the era in which it was 'contemporary.'

The soft focus, type of pose, and look in the eyes in the Cameron is distinctive of an era.

The lighting of Hurrell screams Hollywood heyday.

“Style of portraiture” doesn’t exclude pattern, hairstyle, or clothing. It especially doesn’t exclude how they’re used by the photographer. Donovan’s inclusion of so much conflicting pattern, and in color, was a hallmark of the sixties. So was the distortion due to his choice of lens and perspective.

Avedon’s straightforwardness, matter-of-fastness, sharpness, lack of background, and touch of the odd is a signature and connotes the eighties quite well.

McGinley’s heightened colors, in your face poses, more exposed expressions and looks, carefree compositions, and willingness to provide photographic flourish is representative of a Gen X and beyond style.

Obviously, any one of these qualities can be used in different eras. A contemporary certainly might make a soft-focus, sepia-toned portrait with a very staged pose and expression. But, if a photographer did so, a whole lot of people would say with understanding, “he made that portrait in an 1800s style.”

Eras are used all the time in referencing style, photographic and otherwise, in nearly every history of photography book or museum intro you’ll ever read.

"You talkin' to me?"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mark Tucker and GIles Clement.

if you goooogles them you will finds them.

Esquire style. 50 mm close-up with dramatic lighting. His fashion-esque works is kitsch and pop-art in the same bottle.

I can see where someone might say that taking no more than a superficial look, not understanding the potential and depth of what can be revealed through portraiture.

Edited by Brad_
www.citysnaps.net

potential and depth

I beg you... I guess I gave it short but just right definition.

His Pamela Anderson and Steven Spielberg are pure kitch/pop art. Erdogan is shot as if he had been shot for the passport. Graphic harsh light, vignettes move us to mid 2000s...

The so-called strenght of his works is famous personalitties, celebrities. Known by nobody P***y Riot could sell themselves to the West. How are they doing? In Russia, I tell you there much more intellectual and talented people that those two upstarts. How are their career progressing in the West after kicking up meaningless fuss in the church? Roger Stone and Carter look like Avedon's works plagiarism. I could continue but I have no spare time on it. Sorry, not my cup of tea.