Contax T rangefinder and metering issues/questions

Hello all,

I have a well-maintained Contax T rangefinder with the drawbridge lens (NOT a T2/T3/etc.) that I purchased recently. All functions appear normal. I shot a roll of Provia 100F on near sunset with a cloudless sky and had it processed by a reputable processor. I took about 6 different test shots with each at every F stop from F2.8 to F16. I have a lot of experience shooting chromes, and to my eyes, these slides appear to be about 1/2 to 1 stop overexposed.

I'm using two SR44 (1.55v) batteries as specified in the manual. Batteries are new in package, produced by Exell. No filter on lens. Fresh film.

Questions:

1. Am I spoiled by using a Nikon F4 with a matrix meter for so many years that I am expecting too much from the Contax T with its spot metering? The F4 is a metering genius. Even my Lomo LC-A does a nice job with chromes. Perhaps I can use two cameras and compare results.

2. Are the SR44 batteries the way to go? The manual states that SR44 (1.55v) or LR44 (1.5v) are OK.

3. Is this the norm for a Contax T since results could be satisfactory with negative film?

4. Where is the meter located in the viewfinder? I practiced aiming at a lightbulb and it seems like the spot meter area is slightly below the rangefinder patch.

I'm tempted to buy another Contax T in order to compare to this one. I really like the camera's manual functions and portability. Anyone have experience shooting chromes regularly with a Contax T?

Edited by Paul Lewis

After giving this some more thought, I think a valid next test of this camera (besides shooting the same scene with a different camera) is to shoot the same photo with different manual ISO settings, for instance 100 speed film at ISO 64, 80, 100, 125 and 160 and determine which ISO provides the best exposure. And do this test at F2.8, F8 and F16 to see if it's linear. Not a fan of this type of compensation long-term.

Did the picture have the image of the sun in it? If so then you are taking a shot in an unusual metering situation. I am also a little surprised you can confidently state that the shot is 1/2 or 1 stop overexposed. It would seem usual with any kind of sunset to bracket the shots and pick the one that looks best to you, rather than go by the stated reading of the light meter. How is the exposure of an average scene in flat, diffused light? I think your idea of finding the correct ISO setting for the film in the T may be the best idea. It is quite possible that you may want to set the ISO higher than it is rated to achieve the required saturation. This is/was a very common requirement for shooting slide film. I used to rate K64 as 50, for example for my Leicas, whereas I know many others with other cameras might rate it 80. I doubt there is anything wrong with the meter, but different cameras may require different compensation or metering techniques.
Robin Smith

I am expecting too much from the Contax T with its spot metering?

I had a Contax T years ago and to my knowledge, it does not have spot metering. It does not mention this in the owner's manual, only that it uses a SPD cell above the lens.

I had a Contax T years ago and to my knowledge, it does not have spot metering. It does not mention this in the owner's manual, only that it uses a SPD cell above the lens.

Good point. The cell is on the front of the lens. I don't think I can expect this to be as accurate as a spot, center-weight or matrix meter inside an SLR prism or off the shutter. I searched for everything I could find about user feedback regarding the meter in the Contax T and only found positive comments. Of course, one's mileage may vary. These users' experience may not necessarily apply to use with chromes or difficult lighting situations.

Edited by Paul Lewis

One other factor to consider in difficult lighting conditions is that the Contax T lacks an exposure lock. Mine always seemed to deliver well-exposed pictures, though I never shot chromes with it, either. Edited by m42dave

One other factor to consider in difficult lighting conditions is that the Contax T lacks an exposure lock. Mine always seemed to deliver well-exposed pictures, though I never shot chromes with it, either.

Right, no exposure lock. Even though I don't shoot much negative film, I suspect a half-stop wouldn't bother anyone shooting those films. Especially if it's a half-stop overexposure.