Contax II Photos

Great to see you back in full form. So many wonderful shots, but the uncoated color shots have a particular affect on me. They are gorgeous, especially the table shot with red flowers.

For the readers, I am the lucky guy who bought the 1.5/50 uncoated pre WW2 lens from Mike. That is where the luck ended so far. I haven't used any color with it, nor have any examples to show that are good enough to honor that wonderful lens. As Mike already knows, I dropped it on my dining room floor, dented the filter/hood threaded bezel. From Dr. Mike's diagnosis, it looks like the patient will live and hopefully make some beautiful images again.

Welcome home , Mike!

Mike, nice to have you back. Your Contax pictures are great, I fell in love with this camera. It will be on my aquisition list sooner or later. For the gang, I'm the guy with the Exakta at the table in Toronto. That was a fun meeting. Here are some of the pictures I took with the Exakta VX1000, lens Zeiss Tessar 2.8/ 50, film Fuji superia 100. Very smooth camera despite the left hand built operation.<div>00CqYZ-24622784.jpg.a2dd284a8bc819f6464b829a565a9a98.jpg</div>

Way to post a shot showing the effects of the beer on me, Mihai! I like both of your portraits made with my Contax. You have a face that would probably look amazing on orthochromatic B&W film on the 4x5!

Les, at least you didn't hit your foot. That lens has a lot more density than an Arkansas developing tank. You have to feel a prewar Contax lens to believe it.

Nice shots Christopher. I got it mainly for capturing details like on your 2nd page while away in Europe next month. I had no idea that I would get a "headshot" rangefinder lens until I saw a 1.5m minimum focus. Mine is the exact same model as yours.

Garry: I have no idea how the J-11 compares to the last of the Oberkochen models from West Germany. Its certainly going to be based on a prewar Zeiss design. Check the focus on the lens and rangefinder carefully, and be sure to test the framing of whatever viewfinder you use. Parallax up close is an issue.