Contaflex Prima - "Zeiss Stuttgart"

JDMvW

<p>I had to acknowledge, eventually, that there had been another Zeiss Icon company. My beloved Zeiss Jena, etc., items were not the only cameras to carry the doublet lens logo of Zeiss Ikon. <br /> <br /> Admittedly, Zeiss in the West seemed to follow a contrarian philosophy. If the verdammte Ossies were going to have SLRs with focal plane shutters, like the Contax S and its descendants. then by golly, Zeiss Stuttgart would show them with gem-like between-the-lens shutter cameras. The front elements could be interchanged for wide angle and telephoto accessory lenses, but no M42 mount or anything like that.<br /> <br /> So finally, I poured out way over the going price (the staggering total of US$31) for a Contaflex Prima that looked to be in pretty good shape. <br /> <br /> If a little dusty, the camera still works. The meter also still works (selenium type), mostly. The Prima has the shutter speed and aperture locked together, so, once it's set by matching the needle on the top of the camera, you can choose the speed you want and it will automatically carry the aperture dial with it. I never liked this sort of coupling, but have to confess that it is easy to get used to .<br /> <br /> Here is the camera.</p><div>00UHPw-166903584.jpg.c64a9c8112a5e5de3844d06fff8c0b14.jpg</div>

<p>When I first took it out was when I was shooting the Plus-X shown in the picture. This film had expired much more recently than the Tri-X I had shot previously: its "process before" date was <strong>05/1995</strong> . The older Tri-X was fine, but when I processed this roll of Tri-X at the same time as some Nova SilverPlus I have posted elsewhere, the SilverPlus turned out beautifully, but the Plus-X was variable on the same roll. I had used the on-camera meter and most of the pictures were pretty much over exposed. Here are three examples. The first was a little "pictorial" but grain and the like were decent. The second shot shown was from a different part of the reel a part which was extremely grainy. The final shot shows a bridge detail and looks good in terms of exposure and grain.</p><div>00UHQ8-166903884.thumb.jpg.d62b63bda83ae7100a774a399dbdb49e.jpg</div>

<p>So I used the little knife in my Exakta (first time ever) and had the other half of the Nova SilverPlus that had been successful in the earlier shoot which was developed at the same time as the Plus-X.<br>

This time, I used the a Gossen Luna Pro SBC instead of the on-camera meter. The shots still seem uneven in exposure, so I am guessing that the lens shutter needs a little exercise at least.<br>

Anyhow here is the street coming up the hill to my house and a shot of a not-quite-sure patron at the local Paneras.</p><div>00UHQG-166904184.thumb.jpg.313e2e4a9c779abd4db3852c917caa25.jpg</div>

• Like 1

<p>Interesting; I wonder why close objects look better in grain than the distant ones; perhaps it has something to do with the reflectance of the surface mass and its effect on the film. Homogenous surfaces need less differentiation. The Silver Plus film, I think, is made by ORWO, the DDR division of old Agfa. It is re-packed by the same company in India that makes the ORWO NP22 and sells it as NOVA NP22. The Silver Plus is priced less by about 25%, though I think it is better than the NP 22. I have no confirmation on the provenience except that I guessed through a process of elimination of other sources. It could also be of some related East European origin. Regards, sp.</p>

<p>That is fantastic, if that's what it is. I've been wanting to shoot ORWO (knew they still made specialty films in Germany), but had no idea that the Nova might be from that source.</p>

<p>And thanks again, SP. Much appreciate the chance to shoot this film. I quite like it.</p>

Mmh Orwo.. I didn't know they still made film. I too have a Contaflex and up until about a year ago, I trusted the on-board Selenium Meter to expose relatively properly. I recently picked-up the camera

and noticed that the meter was slow to react when the shutter was cocked. I shot specifically

dark scenes (as you did too, I think) to see if the exposures were anywhere close. My results were acceptable ..so the jury's still out on this Super-B. I've had it since about 1986, and when I was initially cleaning it, the the aperture designations wiped right of the dial, so it's hard to use in manual.

I have to remember if it starts at F16 or f22 and count up in half stops...Oooh Je!

Perhaps you know this site .. a lot of info and insight especially on the Contaflex

http://www.taunusreiter.de/Cameras/WestdeutscheSLR.html

<p>{English Site} FilmoTec GmbH produces a wide range of high quality photographic film at its ... and where film has been produced under the ORWO brand ever since 1964. ... www.filmotec.de/English_Site/english_site.html - Apparently, the company re-invented itself and is producing a lot of specialty films, including those for security/surveillance cameras, movie negatives and the like. They may have tapered off on the old amateur films of the ORWO NPxx series. That is probably why the supply is now difficult in India. I shall post soon an image of the ORWO NP22 and one of NOVA NP22. sp.</p>

<p>Great to see another Prima in action, JDM !<br>

I have a minty specimen with the 75/4 Pantar as well. Thankfully, this Conatflex is in fully-opertational condition; no problems or excessive noise with the leaf shutter, very clean viewfinder, smooth film advance, and working & pretty accurate meter (but sometimes slow to resond in low-light conditions).<br>

Contaflexes are very nice to hold and shoot with, save for the small 45mm lens. The focus ring is a PITA to use unless you have a good-size metal lens hood screwed in. I usually just set hyperfocal when doing street candids.<br>

No problem ,though, with the larger 75mm lens, however.<br>

The aperture/shutter speed coupling is very easy to override. Just use your right middle fingertip to depress the realase button on the collar. <br>

I just finished exercising my Prima with several rolls of Neopan SS I shot last week. The film will be souped tonight and maybe scanned and posted within a day or two.<br>

Your post inspired me to load her next with some colour film and test out the 75mm lens. We'll take the kids to Central Park tomorrow if the weather's fair. Hope to have these pics up shortly,too.</p>

<p>Great to see another Prima in action, JDM !<br>

I have a minty specimen with the 75/4 Pantar as well. Thankfully, this Conatflex is in fully-opertational condition; no problems or excessive noise with the leaf shutter, very clean viewfinder, smooth film advance, and working & pretty accurate meter (but sometimes slow to resond in low-light conditions).<br>

Contaflexes are very nice to hold and shoot with, save for the small 45mm lens. The focus ring is a PITA to use unless you have a good-size metal lens hood screwed in. I usually just set hyperfocal when doing street candids.<br>

No problem ,though, with the larger 75mm lens, however.<br>

The aperture/shutter speed coupling is very easy to override. Just use your right middle fingertip to depress the realase button on the collar. <br>

I just finished exercising my Prima with several rolls of Neopan SS I shot last week. The film will be souped tonight and maybe scanned and posted within a day or two.<br>

Your post inspired me to load her next with some colour film and test out the 75mm lens. We'll take the kids to Central Park tomorrow if the weather's fair. Hope to have these pics up shortly,too.</p><div>00UHmS-167017584.jpg.8791371415aff8fbd38db5db79101faa.jpg</div>

<p>I found the center focusing screen a little deceptive too, since I'm used to a focus all over screen. Thanks for pitching in. I liike your old Ektachrome and pictures. And I am jealous of your telephoto ;)</p>

<p>Well, I haven't given the 75mm a good run yet... </p>

<p> My wife's not too keen on the center focus screen, either. Nor does she like the tricky mirror. <br>

But, for what it is, the Contaflex can be a fun camera to play with. I try to keep it in use every season. As you know, they're a fussy lot and pretty hard to fix from what I've been told.</p>

<p>BTW, should I try to see what's on those rolls of 20exp Ektachrome ?? They have to be a good 35-40 yrs old. I'd hate to bust up the cartridges, though.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Very nice JDM, I like the camera and what you got out of it. I have two Contaflexes, but they are the common ones, the Supers, and am very happy with them. The interchangeable lenses I bought have separations which is a common malady for these. Still it doesn't seem to affect images so I am not bothered that much.</p>

• 5 years later...
  • 5 years later...