Contaflex Prima shutter speed question

This is a long shot, but here goes. For some strange reason I bought a Contaflex Prima SLR. At least I think it's a Prima. It looks like the one that JDM has here below:

Contaflex Prima - "Zeiss Stuttgart"

Mine has the 75 4 Pantar and 50 Tessar lenses. The shutter is firing, but it's firing at the same speed no matter where you set the dial. That's not what has me confused though. The thing is, it has a dial that has TWO speed markings on it. It goes from 1/500 down to B, then continues on around from 1/4 to 1/60. Is that for the flash? The only manual (free) that I have been able to find on the web is on Butkus's site, but it was not much help. I've looked on youtube too, but there seems to be about a zillion models of these cameras, and none of the ones I found are Primas. The self timer and B do not seem to be working, but I can live w/ that, and I can't get the shutter speed dial to go past B to the other scale that runs up to 1/60.

What I'm wondering is, might there be some rational explanation as to why the camera is firing on only one speed other than it is broken? I can only guess, but it seems to be firing at maybe 1/250 or thereabouts.

I should probably count myself as lucky that the shutter fires at any speed, as there are a lot of reports of Contaflex cameras with jammed shutters, but I would really like to shoot this, and having more than one speed, whatever that speed might be, would be nice :]

Edited by steve_mareno|1

Are you sure you have a Tessar 50? A Prima camera always has a Pantar standard lens. I don't think you can put a Pantar tele on a Tessar lens unit. That is, if you really have a Tessar and a Pantar, it is a mismatch. I never used Prima 's (don't like threelensers), but the stories about difficult repairs are certainly true about the Contaflex. It will be difficult to find a repairperson who can handle this 60 year old beauty. It might be more sensible to buy another? They are rather cheap (probably because of their reputation). There are repair stories on the net however, so you could try? Anyway, good luck.

The previous post is correct re: Tessar or Pantar lenses. They're not interchangeable and they won't fit. What is the lens that is on the camera? I suggest you post a photo or two of the camera so we know what we're dealing with. Include one of the front of the body showing clearly the lens attached to it, and one of the top of the setting rings too please. If the timer and Bulb are not functioning the shutter is going to require some servicing, will you be doing this yourself, or getting someone to attend to it for you? If the latter please advise where you are located and perhaps a suggestion for a suitable repairer can be made.

I've the three models that take the aux Pantar lenses. Tessar won't fit. Everything you need; Contaflex SLR - Wikipedia.

Complex shutter not worth cost of repair. For $10 you can probably find one that works

Thing is that they do not often need repair. The Synchro-Compur versions anyway. Generally, just cleaning and lubrication. Most of their components are shared with the conventional non-reflex installations. The components needed to hold the shutter blades open when the camera is cocked, and to stop the aperture down when the mechanism is released, are not parts that often fail, either. In the majority of cases they simply need to be serviced. Once lubricant residue is removed from shutter and aperture blades, they tend to work correctly again.

Please, inform us where one may procure good, fully working Contaflexes from for $10. At that price, I'll buy ten of them immediately.