Contact Sheets from Hurricane Wilma

al_kaplan1

Heres some shots taken during the week following Wilma's visit to

Miami. Most of the shots were with the 15mm Heliar on the Bessa L,

one roll was with the 40mm Summicron on the Leica CL. Some of you

have asked how many frames I make when shooting my self-portraits.

Now you can see. I'll be making some enlargements of some of these to

scan and post in a few days.

Al Kaplan, Bessa L Photographer

I have a CV 21 which you have inspired me to use similarly, but your 15mm shots are great.

Al, may I ask how you scanned your sheets of negatives?

Do you use a light box inverted on a flatbed to scan a full page of negatives?

Al,

Maybe you should get yourself a negative scanner. Some of those shots were nice, and I think one of the problems that some people on this forum have is that the pictures don't seem to be that well printed and thought out...of course that's probablly a result of bad scanning, etc.

Neg scanners can be had quite cheaply these days, and certainly under a thousand bucks brand new. Likewise, there are some good flatbeds around these days that you can get for $6-800 (canon, epson, etc.) that can do a passable job at neg scanning....

And Compusa and Circuit City usually offer 12 months no interest.

Regarding scanning in 35mm:

I have an Epson Perfection 1640SU flatbed with a neg scanner (now vintage I guess!) that I bought for a great price a few years back from a PN member.

I works great with 120 and 4x5 negs but is a bit less than satisfactory with 35mm.

Tip: Another PN member suggested that I scan using the color neg setting rather than the b/w neg setting, since I can then make use of some of the good tools (select color, channels, etc) in Photoshop. That made a big difference, and improved the 35mm scans as well. I also use VueScan rather than Twain as the driver.

However, if I were to scan 35mm negs in a serious way, it would be worth the investment to obtain a quality scanner designed just for 35mm.

When I use 35mm b/w now days, I use XP-2 or Kodak equivalent, and simply have the lab make a good CD.