Contact printing frame

emile_de_leon9

Bostick and Sullivan has very wll made ones, and they are easy

to use and clean. They are oversized, so you get a full frame

with an 8x10 piece of paper, but I found it handy to get one size

larger than I needed nonetheless. And I am sure thy have them

in your size.

dgh

I have three contact printing frames. A Zone VI 8x10 which is too small to print 8x10 without a border, otherwise beautifully designed and constructed, and works great for 5x7. A Bostick and Sullivan 11x14 frame which is also well constructed and with plenty of room for full-sized 11x14 prints. An AWB frame for 7x17 or 8x20 which is almost a work of art. You can specify the exact diminsions you need and Alan will build it, but don't be in a hurry. Alan uses heavy plastic springs, whereas both Bostick and Sullivan and Zone VI use steel springs. Don't let the idea of plastic springs put you off since they are more than adequate for the job. I like them more than the metal ones. The tracks for the springs for both the Zone VI and the AWB are metal-lined. The Bostick and Sullivan frame just has grooves cut into the wood, which isn't as nice, but should not cause any problems. If I ever need another frame, I'll definitely get it from AWB. But perhaps you should consider a vacuum frame since you will be printing such large negatives.

You might consider a vacuum frame. When you get up to 12x20 the contacting process gets a bit cumbersome. Vacuum frames offer easy in > easy out and achieve excellent "contact". I believe you can find used units in good condition for less than a new custom wooden frame.

There may be other factors for you to consider, but having used both, I prefer the vacuum frame.

What kind of glass do you use now?

What is the source for the scratches?

One of the things you might consider is using either safety glass, or else windshield glass for your printing. Tempered glass is scratch resistant, and any good glass shop will be able to cater to your needs.