Consumer Level Digital Advice

I may be travelling through Thailand from Australia in the next

month or so, and intend to purchase a digital camera in the 500 -

1000 USD range or thereabouts. As such I would like a few options -

1) Wider is better then longer, prefer 28mm equiv (no accessory

lens'). Most photos would be taken within the 28 - 50mm equiv range

so large zoom range not especially important.

2) Shutter delay shouldn't be a problem (I have a coolpix 775!!!)

3) 5 mp or thereabout

4) Are there any specific cameras to avoid (lemons)

5) Any destined to become a digital "classic" (I'm thinking like

Hexar AF in film language, GR1 etc)

6) Am I likely to find it cheaper in Thailand or in Australia?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

For $1000 USD how does a Canon Digital Rebel with 18-55 lens sound? That'd be my top pick, but that's right at the top of your list. AF is better than most anything in the P&S category and image quality will blow all the P&S digitals away.

Otherwise check out some of the Canon and Olympus cameras, I prefer them to Nikon for a number of reasons. I've dealt with far too many mechanical and electrical issues with the coolpix line for me to really want to recommend them.

A lot of people seem to liken the Canon G series (the G5 is a 5mp camera) to the rangefinder approach to photography. I don't necessarily agree but it's a popular camera and a fairly good one. I have a Canon G3 I bought when they were being discontinued (cheap) and it's been a wonderful tool. Had it about 8 months now with no troubles whatsoever.

Sounds like the Digital Rebel/300D with 18-55 kit lens (29-88 equivalent focal length) meets all of your selection criteria (albeit on the high side of your price range). That'll give you tbe best quality, flexibility, and all-round performance for under $1000.

Unfortunately, the G series cameras, while great, lack a wide angle lens. I'd agree that the digital rebel would be a good choice, but to offer an alternative, you may want to look at the Olympus C5060 or Nikon Coolpix 5400, the latter lacking an AF assist lamp. Olympus is actually quite generous in their package for the 5060, including a remote control.

I'm not hesitant to recommend Nikon, but I live in Canada, where Nikon offers a 2 year warranty with all the coolpix cameras and the D70, as well as photoshop elements 2 in the box. As for pricing, I'm not sure where it would be cheaper, but I'd put my money on Thailand.

Don't forget the one neat trick digital cameras offer....stitch two or more images taken with a G3/G5 (or Digital Rebel for that matter) and you'll find you've got a pretty darn good "wide angle" lens!

You're not going to find many digicams with lenses wider than 28mm, so the 35mm end of a G3/G5 is pretty close to the widest lenses you'll find out there unless you go to a DSLR with one of the made for digital super wide angles, like Nikon's 12-24 zoom (way outta your price range).