Considering buying a used D100 - what to ask?

I'm a long time Nikon film SLR user and have always bought used film

bodies. Have had a couple of digital P&Ss but looking to get a used

D100.

I know what questions to ask in general, but not sure what to ask

specifically about a digital camera. For example, just how important

is the number of actuations and what constitutes "high mileage"?

I'm taking into consideration the dropping pricepoints for DSLRs.

But how critical is the warranty? I realize repairs are expensive,

but can you assume, like most integrated electronics, that most

problems occur relatively soon?

Finally, improved sensors and electronics will result in higher

megapixel counts and lower noise. But realistically, are the next

generation of DSLRs likely to result in noticeable better quality up

to 11x14?

Thanks.

"(H)ow critical is the warranty?"

I bought two D100s new and subjected them to light use. Within one year of being purchased, both D100s had to go to Nikon, as they were exhibiting blue/white hot pixels. Fixing them would have been a pricey out-of-warranty repair.

"(A)re the next generation of DSLRs likely to result in noticeable better quality up to 11x14?"

Over 8x12 inches, you certainly start to see the limitations of the resolving power of a 6MP APS-sized chip. I would expect the D2x, for instance, to produce superior enlargements to the D100 in the 11x14 inch range.

Of course, the D2x is currently priced new at $5K, while a new D100 is retailing for $1K. I guarantee you won't get five times the image quality or durability from a D2x as compared to a D100.

At this point, if price is a limitation, I would buy a new D70 for $900 after rebate. You'll have a warranty and can get your feet wet in DSLRs without taking out a second mortgage.

Why not a new D70? The price is right. It syncs at 1/500 and does 3 fps with a HUGE buffer. Great light weight camera and great bang-for-the-buck. And you get a warranty. As for 11x14 prints you really need go no further! You are there! Learn to shoot in raw for maximum resolution, lowest chromatic aberration, best color temperature, and absence of jpg fringing and artifacts.

I probably was not clear in the original post. I may be able to purchase a used D100 at a price I consider fair given the other cameras on the market (including the D70) and the rate of depreciation on DSLRs.

The advice I'm looking for is what questions should I ask of the seller to ascertain the condition of the camera. Not the general questions that would apply to any camera, but those questions specific to digital cameras (such as "actuations").

Thanks again.

One thing early digital buyers would do is to take a blank shot with the lens cap on. Then load the image into a computer and look for hot pixels.

It also would be nice to know how many times the shutter was fired. I don't know the MTBF (mean time between failures) for this shutter, but if the shutter fails within a month or year, at least you could tell Nikon that it failed after 45,000 shots or whatever.

Also look for obvious signs of impact, as well as look for cracks around switches, doors, etc.