Connecting with class of 2009 Hallmark Institute of Photography

Hi,

My name is Gidget. I will be attending Hallmark Institute of Photography

2008/2009. I started this post to connect with other students in the class of 2009!

When are you moving to MASS?

Are you looking for a roommate or are you living by yourself?

Where are you coming from?

Is it just you or is your family/pets coming, too?

What is your favorite subject to photograph or type of photography?

A little bit about me: I am not sure when I am moving. Some time in August, most

likely. It will be my cat and me. I am looking for a roommate. I filled out the

survey and am just waiting for the password. I am currently living in Arizona.

I am so excited about attending Hallmark, I can't wait! I am a little scared

about having to drive in snow, though. I am sure it will be fine. I'll just

drive slow. (Will that help??? lol)

I love to do macro photography. I like to shoot so close that it looks like an

abstract painting instead of say a flower.

Can't wait to connect with everyone and meet you all at Hallmark on Sept 3rd!!!

P.S. if you wish to post questions about Hallmark go to post:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00A6qQ

Please just use this post for the class of 2009 student to connect.

Thank you!!!!!!!!! :)

Hi Gidget!

I had my interview last week and am waiting for a response to all my application materials. It will be nice to meet all the other 08-09 hopefuls and if we are all accepted and able to attend, I look forward to meeting all of you as well.

I currently live in Clinton, Iowa, which is a grain of salt little town an hour away from the quad cities (if anyone is familiar with Iowa). I am twenty and will have my AAS in Graphic Design in may and hope to attend Hallmark in Sep. I have been photographing in my area for several years, have won several local awards for my fine art photography but, this is not the area to be bragging about such. There isn't much of a market so I look to Hallmark not only to help shape my still raw talents but, hopefully be able to make a living off of the career that I love.

If anyone is interested they may check out my current work at my website, www.pkorovilas.com, or a highlight of my latest fine art project, "project+", at nationally recognized writer Jonothan Blooms website, www.wastedfood.com/gallery.

"Project+" is a series of 11x16 canvas prints, studying the issues of food waste, human nature, and our effects on the environment. It has moved around locally but I hope, as I build the volume of work, it will move around the country, I am hoping for all 50 states, sometime in my life. I think we live in an extraordinary time in human history and we are holding on to a lot of negative habits that we must learn to drop if we hope to successful continue to increase our population in a world of increasingly scarce resources. If anyone has any reading time I found a fantastic piece of online reading that currently puts our current world situation into perspective: http://www.naturalnews.com/report_Seven_Words_0.html .

Anyways, I think I got a little off subject but, I do hope to attend and make the large step to a career in the work that I love. I hope to meet all of you prospective students and continue to see these extremely helpful posts.

Thanks, -Pantelis A. Korovilas

• 4 weeks later...

I have been accepted to the class of 2009. Quite a hassle getting a student loan even

when you have tons of years in the same industry and not to mention an almost

perfect credit score. But Sallie Mae came through with the press of a key board

button. What a gal.

Just last week I got laid off from work and am walking away with a nice severance

package, which will help tremendously. The most important thing tho is the opportunity

to be with so many people immersed in photography. What a great way to learn. I'm

hoping to clear things here in Dallas and be finding a nice apartment sometime in July

time frame.

If no one else responds to this site, I hope we at least can meet within the first days of

class. Sort of a bonding thing here on the web. I'm excited about this change in life

direction for me. My goal is to absorb all I can in these 10 months, so when someone

calls me a photographer, I feel I can live up to that title. :)

Jerry

Hey Jerry,

Congrat!

I may be moving to Mass by Aug 17th. If any of the class of 2009 is there, let's get together for coffee/tea!! (Class of 2008 is for sure welcome, too!)

Direct email me for my cell number or go to the housing database and get it off of there!!

See you soon.

Gidget

Hey Guys,

My name is Adriane and I currently reside in Japan.

I plan to arrive in MA sometime in August, so I can adjust to the time zone. I will be arriving there by myself and hopefully find myself a roommate.

I love to photograph just about anything, especially action shots.

Photoshop is my best friend, I love to use MAC, and I shoot with a Canon Rebel XTi.

BTW. What kind of cat's do you guys have? I LOVE ANIMALS..... =]

Thanks for reading.

Hi Adriane,

Wow, Japan! You do have an adjustment to make for sure.

I have not worked on a MAC, but I look forward to it at Hallmark.

I have a Calico cat. She is mostly white with black and grey. She is a cutie!

You too, when you get access to the housing database, look me up!

I look forward to meeting you!

Gidget

From Japan. Now that's a long way. Went to Tokyo a few years ago when my

daughter was there touring with the Broadway play 42nd Street. We ate at Friday's a

lot at the hotel.

Anyways guess since I'm not looking for a roommate I don't get access to the listing

of people attending. So I thought I'd post my .mac web site I use in case you'd like

to visit it. One of the reasons I love my Mac. http://web.mac.com/jwplano

I shoot with the Canon 5D and love the 70-200 mm lens. Never used a camera back

or large format camera before. Much less I can't remember the last time I shot with

a film camera, so the first month should be very interesting.

Jerry

Great Pics Jerry. I like the tree (the one that is about the 5th one on the slide show).

I am excited to get back to film. I used to shoot fujichrome velvia 50. Love the colors! It will be an adjustment from the quick and easy digital, take another if it didn't work, hell take 100 more! LOL

Everything about Hallmark sounds verrrry exciting. I know it will be hard work, but I can not wait! This is definitely a dream come true! It will also be exciting to be around so many other people that have the same passion for photography!

I went to a photography workshop in Santa Fe New Mexico in March. One of the guys

there shot with fujichrome velvia film and you're right, the colors were absolutely

beautiful. And while we were shooting like madmen with digital, he was taking his

time, composing just the right scene and took limited shots. He brought some

beautiful shots he took with that camera while he was stationed in Italy.

I AGREE!

Jerry, you've got some really good shots! I really like the lamp post on your Classic Arboretum. It looks all dark and weary, almost like it belongs in a Tim Burton movie, it's awesome! Like you're supposed to see a shadow against the wall of a vampire eating someone, whoa! I LOVE IT!

i have a really big imagination (>.<)

Anyways, YEAH! Totally psyched about Hallmark, CAN'T WAIT! Just wanna take pictures and use film and do chemical processing oh man, FUN FUN FUN!

Thanks glad you like that one. i love the Arboretum here in Dallas. I go quite a bit

there because it seems every-time I go I see something different. It's more than just

flowers and color there. Most people don't see the other beauty that is there. They go

mostly for the blooms and the color. I do quite a few portraits there as well. Makes for

great backgrounds.

And yes that is quite an imagination. :)

Ok so I'm going to fly up to Massachusetts on June 3rd and on the 4th sit in on some

of the final reviews for the class of 2008. What an experience this should be. It will

give me an opportunity to see what we'll all be going through this time next year. Kind

of like seeing the end before the beginning.

And it gives me a chance to find a place to live hopefully too.

Jerry

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys!

First of all congrats on being accepted and your progress thus far in the admissions

process. You guys have no clue what an experience you are in for. I am a current

student in the 2008 class. I've had my portfolio reviewed and accepted on the first

day. What a nerve-wrecking relief. Hallmark is as good as advertised and I've

learned a tremendous amount in such a short time. The whole process of

developing is not without frustrations. Trust me when I say its a part of learning to

be a "REAL" photographer. Whatever frustrations you experience, know that every

class before you experienced the same.

I am very envious of you all. I'd go back to Hallmark in a second if I could. I have a

ton of advice to give but its just entirely too much to give in this one post. Let me

know if you have any questions and I will gladly give my tidbits of Hallmark wisdom.

Take care and take advantage of every minute you are there. 10-months ends

before you know it.

Mark

I was there this week finding a place to live and I had the opportunity several times to

sit in on the final reviews. Saw most students get accepted but also sat in on one or

two that had their portfolios rejected. Also got to talk with some other students when I

was looking for apartments. Mixed reactions on their experiences at hallmark, but I'm

a big believer you get out of it what you put into it.

Any information or hints on to do's or not to do's is always helpful.

Congratulations on having your portfolio accepted. Would you share your web site with

us? Always love to see other's work.

Jerry, I am seeking admission to HIP and will hopefully be an Oh-Niner with you all if the financial aid works out. You mentioned that some students' portfolios were rejected last week. What's that all about... what happens then? Do they have to scramble to fix the shortcomings? Do they not receive a certificate... or worse, does it mess with the terms of their financial aid?? What a nightmare to make it that far only to be rejected!

Mark,

Congratulations on your successful portfolio! I wondered if you would be at liberty to share your future employment plans? I'm a prospective HIP student and just like everyone else, I'm not only curious about how to survive during the program but AFTER. If I'm accepted, then I'm going to require a heavy sum of financial aid to be able to attend in September. Naturally, I'm very concerned about being able to make a good living and repay any loans shortly after graduation. Are you facing the same challenges?

Thanks for sharing any information on this topic.....

Hello Everyone!

I was Accepted to Hallmark and plan on attending this september!!! i am SO

excited. I have just graduated High school in South Carolina, and i am a little

nervous about the cold weather, ha. I am so excited to meet all of the nifty people

that are going too! I am a little nervous about paying the loans too, Jan, but

Hallmark said that it will be done in a sort time after graduating. Jerry Whitty, i really

liked your work that i saw on your website, Especially the branches in the fine arts

section, and the vase in the Classic Arboretum section, OH and the Lamp against

the brick!!!, GREAT Work! i am excited to meet all of you who plan on going this

year!

I am going up in late july to find a place to live, and i have heard that if you

have a roommate that it is fairly inexpensive, hopefully. . . I have almost finished

the housing database information i just have to send the signature in and i will be

there !!! YAY

Mark Denman, i would love to ask you a few questions on subjects related to HIP

and the surrounding area! i am just so EXCITED to attend!!!

It is going to feel amazing, being surrounded by such creative minds, and being able

to learn so much in such a short period.

This is going to be great being able to learn from every one and teach as well, OH i

am so excited....I am so excited to be surrounded by people who share the same

passion for photography as I do !:)

It seems to be a great place for those who have such a large imagination, so it will

be great for me!

I look forward to meeting you all,

Richard !!!

Richard,

Congrats on your acceptance. I think we are all so excited that we are going to have permanent smiles. (Well, at least for the first month!) LOL

I can't wait!

I wonder if there is a welcome reception or something for the new class??

See you soon!

Gidget