Connecting to computer

phtan

<p>Hi all,<br>

I've just bought a 2nd hand EOS 1Ds (Mk I) and started playing around with it. I've tried searching, but I couldn't find any answers to my problem.<br>

Basically, I'd like to know if anyone has experienced the same problem as I and has found a solution. I'm trying to connect my 1Ds to my laptop via a IEEE 1394 cable. I've loaded all the software and I've connected the camera.<br>

The instruction manual says that the act of physically connecting the camer completes the process by installing some drivers (?). When I connect the camera, Windows XP gives me a CODE 10 error. All the other software says it can't find the camera.<br>

Is this a known issue with the 1Ds? There's so many variables, the camera, cable, computer, s/w. I've already resisntalled the software and drivers twice.<br>

Thanks for any help.<br>

T.</p>

<p>He needs to stick with FireWire as the first couple generations of 1D series lacked USB (USB 1.1 was a PITA). I makes sense as FW was fast and USB 1.1 was painfully slow. I think the MK II finally got USB 1.1...</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>Mike, thanks for your response. As puppyface said, the only connection port is a firewire port. I've been surfing the net looking for updated drivers and have tried a few things, but it's always the same result. I don't want to try and return the camera unless I'm 100% sure that's where the fault lies. Also, it wouldn't stop me from taking pictures and using a card reader to transfer the images to the laptop. but I'd like to get to the PFs and other personalisation functions.<br>

Thx.</p>

<p>Not to ask a dumb question but does your laptop support Firewire? If not you can purchase one of those firewire adaptor cards that plug into the side of the laptop computer. Also take your camera and cable and try connecting them to a desktop with a working firewire jack. This should prove which way the trouble is. Good luck.</p>

<p>Have your Canon EOS Utility Program already open before you connect the camera. Connect the camera with the power off. Power up the camera when the firewire is connected. EOS Utility normally detects the camera at this point if you have the correct WIA driver installed (I think the ZIP for this is WI503EN, but it has been a few years and I have quite a few files left in my 1Ds software folder still). Double check your driver version for the 1Ds on XP.<br>

http://support-au.canon.com.au/contents/AU/EN/0900019701.html</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I have a 1D and I went through close to what you're going through. When the camera is connected with the firewire you should see it in My Computer. You should be able to see the files that are on the memory card. If you can't do that then you have a connection issue. Make sure your FW card has the latest drivers (or roll them back as a last resort), verify that the FW cable works and if you have another cable try it, inspect the ports on the camera for dirt, etc... If you can't see the files on the card then you have no communication with the camera and PC.</p>

<p>If the WIA driver doesn't work, try an earlier version. You may even try a different PC.</p>

<p>For me the solution was to quit trying to use Vista and go back to XP which is now my daughters computer. I did that at Canon's request, you may try contacted them.</p>

<p>Oh, and just for grins and giggles unplug anything from the computer that you're not using. Scanner, external HD, printer, etc.... I had an issue where my scanner wouldn't save the scans if the external was plugged in and on. That however was a USB issue and not a FW issue.<br>

Good luck.</p>

<p>Thanks for your suggestion Simon. I tired it, but no luck. I'll look for another computer to try it on and I'll try to get in touch with Canon in the meantime.<br>

If it turns out to be a simple solution, I'll post it up.</p>

<p>So a change of the cable was all it took to get things working. Almost embrassing (almost).<br>

Thanks for everyone's help. Now I can get to finding the tone curve to give me something closer to Fuji Superia Reala film out of the camera.</p>