Condor Photographs?

brian___3

I caught the last part of a radio conversation this morning about the release of 15 Condor around Page Arizona. An Eagle killed one of them, one had to be recaptured because he was being fed at a construction site and something I didn't hear, happened to one other. The report stated that there was a controlled area to view the remaining 12 and I was wondering if anyone has done any photographs of them in that area? If so, do you have any pictures on the internet?

No, don't have any photos and would guess any views will be from a great distance, little specks soaring high.

<p>

I just wanted to make a comment that I'm glad to see this release taking place. I also want to make certain folks here know that a certain level of mortality is certain with any such release of young birds. Some press reports over past releases in California have centered on mortality, but of course young birds experience very high levels of mortality and we can't really cushion these birds overmuch. I imagine they're already using supplemental feeding (cow carcasses) with this release as with the earlier releases, but at some point the birds need to be weaned from this as well.

<p>

If anyone sees any negative press reports condeming the releases as failures due to mortality among the young, I wouldn't mind being e-mailed details of the report (i.e. the spin they put on it). One spin I've seen, that needs to be fought, is that such mortality is evidence that the habitat can't really support a population and reintroductions should cease. This spin is popular with those who oppose the ESA.

Just a quick addition to what Don said. If only 3 of the 15 released are lost that's really quite good. Wild first year raptors have a MUCH higher mortality rate. Over the years,I've heard estimates of anywhere from 60-90 percent of all young raptors die on thier first migration.I used to practice falconry but, since getting married and moving into an apartment,I just don't have the space or time anymore and haven't kept up on the latest raptor news. I'm not sure what the local biologists are guessing this year.

Jesse - I just stick with the vanilla statement that the vast majority (migratory or not) of raptors die their first year. That covers all the turf between 60-90%, no? :)

<p>

As a falconer, you'll be appreciative of the fact that at our site we once trapped, measured, banded and released 897 raptors, including about 300 Cooper's hawks, in three days.