Computer SSD Operation and monitoring

<p>I'm running Window 8.1 64 in a Dell. I'm trying to see how my SSD 256gb memory (soft drive?) is operating. I can watch the separate 24gb memory usage in the Performance tab when I open Task Manager as well as the C and D hard disk. processor, etc. How do I monitor the SSD? <br /><br />Also, how does the SSD operate when I'm using the various program like Lightroom, Adobe Elements, Adobe Premiere, etc? Note that I think the C and D disk are the same hard drive just separated for reasons I don;t understand. I have put my photos and videos on the D partition to speed things up if they actually do that. Any recommendations along this line?</p>

<p>If the OS is installed on the SSD then it is disk 0 and the Windows partition is C as that is the letter assigned by Windows to the partition. Solid State Drive is a drive. On a 4 disk capable mother board the drive slots are 0, 1, 2, 3. On the performance tab you will see Disk X where X is the drive number followed by (Y) where Y is the partition letter. If the SSD has more than 1 partition and is connected to drive 0 position then the Performance tab will show separate entries for Drive 0 © and Drive 0 (D) or some other letter.</p>

<p>A SSD works exactly the same as a hard drive. There is no difference as far as Windows is concerned (except for some maintenance tasks which are done differently). The fact that the underlying technology is vastly different doesn't matter much. Most SSD brands have software tools to measure the health and aging of the SSD drive, but basically, you can regard it as a hard disk, except that it does not need defragmentation and it's loads faster.</p>

<p>The split in a seperate C: and D: drive is quite normal on OEM machines; usually it is indeed meant to use D: as the drive for your personal data (as you do), and the recovery process used to reinstall the OS and the pre-installed applications will not wipe those contents - but check with Dell to make sure, as I am not 100% certain about their implementation.</p>

<p>On both of my Dell machines OEM installation makes 5 partitions on whatever HD space is available. 4 of those partitions are in the mb of disk space with the largest for recovery and the 5th partition the C partition. On this machine with its base 1tb HD it takes all of it, with a second 1tb HD installed it takes both of them. On the other Dell with a 500gb HD it takes all of it. You can download the Win8.1 64 bit ISO from Windows Knowledge Base and make either a installation DVD or thumb drive and install Win 8.1 without the Dell addons but it too will take all the HD space available. The C partition can be resized after Windows installation.</p>

<p>It's worth noting that a good SSD excels at random reads and writes so there's no need to have multiple partitions for performance. Two or more programs accessing an SSD just share the bandwidth nicely and may use it even better instead of the exponentially worse performance an HD may give when two tasks are in contention and moving the head between their tracks.</p>