Compatible QR Plates for Manfrotto 410 Geared Head?

john_hinkey

<p>Nope.</p>

<p>I used to get quite clever in dealing with them. I'd mill away the RC-4 plate to match the bottom of particular cameras, making sure the three angled mating surfaces were intact on the bottom. Or mill a plate that fit in where the rubber pad went if you removed it (rectangle, with one rounded edge) and mill the other side of the plate with indents for particular lens's tripod feet.</p>

<p>Then I decided to convert everything to Arca plates and clamps. There are some really dreadful Arca clamp on top of a Bogen RC-4 plates that you should avoid. Eventually, I just milled away enough of the head of the Manfrotto 410 so that I could mount a decent Arca clamp directly to it. And happiness ensued...<br>

<a href="http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1018&message=20337050">(link)</a></p>

<p>I'm in the process right now of dealing with this. I've been out of photography for a while, but I just got off the phone with Scott at Acratech and I'm going to mount one of their quick release clamps on a 3271 (?? WQ plate for 410) and try that for a while. I'm going to be getting a different set of tripod legs and a new head soon, but right now I convert the 410 one camera and a couple lenses just to check it all out. Scott was very nice and helpful. Eventually I can convert the 410 platform to directly mount the clamp if I need to.</p>

<p>It's expensive but Kirk makes an adapter that fits into the QR on the 410 and provides an AS compatible clamp. Pretty painless and nice if you still might use the original QR plates from time to time. </p>

<p>I like their Ball Heads as well but I thought their LClamp was a real winner, didn't get one yet though. Maybe should have gone with the Markins camera plate for the bidirectional mount, but what the heck I like what their doing over at Acratech.</p>