Compatibility with Vivitar non-AI with N70

nathan_jones3

You obviously won't get autofocus and it probably won't work with the light meter, but it won't do any damage. Any Nikon lens made since the F mount was introduced in the late 1950s will mount and function on any Nikon body -- it's one of the great advantages of Nikon over Canon and other brands. (There are a few oddball super-wide lenses where this doesn't apply, not does it apply to Nikonos underwater lenses or lenses from the rangefinder Nikons of the 1950s.) Even if the metering won't function, it's a digital camera -- you guestimate the exposure, shoot, look at the LCD and fine tune if necessary.

<i>"... but it won't do any damage. Any Nikon lens made since the F mount was introduced in the late 1950s will mount and function on any Nikon body ..."</i><P>

Bad advice, and far from correct. If the Vivitar truly is a non-AI lens (many third party mounts are stamped N/AI - which means "Nikon AI", not Non-AI) then you risk damage to the N70 AI coupling tab on your N70 if you mount the lens.

You should be able to get the lens converted to AI very inexpensively. Two fellows who still do this are John White,

http://www.aiconversions.com/ ;

and William Sampson

http://hometown.aol.com/wdshpbiz/AImod.html

The lens would still not provide metering information when mounted on a D70, but otherwise it would be compatible with your camera.

Mea Culpa. I did not read the original post correctly; I guess I have digital SLR's on the brain. So I became the second person in the thread to provide "bad information." Yikes. But at least I provided some good information, too (i.e., the website of the people who can AI convert an older lens.)

I do wonder: Nathan terms his lens "Non-AI." Is there actually a metering prong on the lens, indicated it's non-AI, or is he reading a notation on the mount that says, "N/AI?" If it's the latter, his lens is indeed AI and will meter with his N70 without alteration.

• 2 weeks later...

Whether or not there is a "prong" for use on old pre-AI cameras

doesn't tell you if the lens is AI or not. Most AI lenses have

these prongs, for backwards compatibility. You need to look at

the ring around the lens mount. If it's complete, it's a non-AI

lens. If it has various indentations, it's AI. Also, an original

AI lens will have holes in the two halves of the prong (to let light

in so the f-stop can be viewed through the viewfinder). But a

non-AI lens that has been converted to AI might not have these holes.

Or you can carefully attempt to mount it, looking to see whether

it interferes with either of the two tabs on the camera, and not

exerting any force, of course.