Compatibility for CanoScan LIDE 110

Discussion in 'Digital Darkroom' started by ray ., Apr 16, 2020.

1. I got a CanoScan LIDE 110 flat bed scanner a few years ago for digitizing small prints or drawings, and within a year after I purchased it the software was incompatible with my OS.

I don't remember if I made an effort to solve the issue or if there just wasn't an option, but now I'm wanting to use the scanner again. I checked the Canon website and the robot chat doesn't list a driver for my OS - Mac 10.14.6 Mojave. I haven't updated my OS because I'm using a 7 year old Mac and a friend told me I'd be better off not to update— Plus if I do update I'll be forced to buy a new version of photoshop or photoshop elements.

At any rate, I'm wondering what my next move should be. I may need to update my computer in a year or two also, but would like to have a scanner I can use now.

Thanks in advance...

2. Hi Ray. I ran into the same problem with a perfectly good CanoScan 8800f when I updated my iMac from Sierra to High Sierra. A little while later, the print head on my Canon ip4100 died. I ended up getting a Canon G3100 (In most countries I believe it is a G3200) which prints and scans. It was relatively inexpensive, wireless, scans and prints using tanks rather than cartridges. I think it was good fortune that my old printer died and that I could not repair it (in Uruguay). The savings on print cartridges alone almost justifies it. It scans and prints wirelessly very well. It does require drivers and Canon will likely stop updating them for newer versions of OSX.
    I thought about using VMware Fusion running Windows 7, or creating a virtual machine running an earlier OSX version, to keep the scanner. I did have Windows 7 running using VMware Fusion (as well as Mojave to try it out, which convinced me to not 'upgrade' to Mojave). That became moot when my ip4100 failed.
    I will not upgrade from High Sierra because the drivers for my Canon Pro 9000MarkII are 32 bit and won't work with newer versions of OSX. Similarly, If I had 'upgraded' beyond High Sierra, Acrobat Pro 9 would not work and replacing that would be expensive. However, when the iMac dies and I can't repair it, I guess I'm into some additional expenses beyond a new computer.