Compact 35mm Cameras

Discussion in 'Modern Film Cameras' started by stuart_templeton, Oct 23, 2017.

1. I have an ever growing collection of 35mm Comapct cameras - and I have to say I really enjoy using them. I do really enjoy the styling and most (Yashica's aside) of them seem capable of producing some nice shots.

[​IMG]

Does anyone else make regular use of these cameras - what are your favourites?

Cheers!

2. I have several, mostly Konica C35 variants; AF3, EF3, MF, and a Nikon L35AF. But as I age and don't take any long trips digital has taken over because I can down load and recharge as soon as I get home, But for several days away I would get film out of the freezer and a couple of AA batteries and one of the 35's.

3. I have several, but I use them seldom, to be honest. I have a difficult time choosing a favorite, since the reason why I own any of them is because they are a favorite in one way or another. A few of mine are a Canon QL17 GIII, Canon AF35ML (aka Super Sure Shot), Canon Sure Shot Classic 120, Olympus XA, and Oly Trip 35. Each of these cameras is capable of producing excellent photos.

stuart_templeton likes this.
  4. m42dave

m42dave Dave E.

I've used many compact 35's over the years, and one favoirte is the FED 50--similar to the Olympus Trip 35, but with a wider range of shutter speeds and more information in the viewfinder. It wouldn't really qualify as a "modern" film camera, but there is something appealing about a programmed, scale-focusing camera that doesn't require batteries.

FED 50 Review: The shape of things that might have been - Canny Cameras

5. Thanks to donations from friends, I have a box full of these cameras; many of them actually work.

However, when I do want a small 35mm film camera, I still love my Rollei 35 most of all.
    Rollei-35-w-flash-lt-cr.jpg

It's more classic than "modern", of course.

mwmcbroom and stuart_templeton like this.
  6. Not modern, but I agree: the Rollei 35 is a great choice for compactness and battery independence. I have three: Rollei 35, Rollei 35S, and Rollei B35. A more modern favorite of mine is the Olympus XA.

7. Minox 35ML or similar. Contax T

8. The mostly plastic 35mm compacts from the mid 70's to late 80's leave me cold, both in styling and the stinky slow zooms on some of them. Plus I just cannot abide auto only exposure control. As far as a compact 35 I like my Oly 35RC. Certainly not perfect but solid and good enough.
    Cons; a hard to grip aperture ring, a silly 43.5mm filter size, defunct (mercury) battery needed. (I use #675 Zinc air cells), focusing ring feel is too light and loose for my taste.
    Pros; Compact, solid feel, shutter speed easy to access and adjust, RF patch easy to see, RF easy to adjust, GN lens, (not a big deal, seldom use flash). As far as the odd filter size I keep on a 43.5 to 43mm step down ring, obtained from one of those HK suppliers for $2. Works fine and does not shadow the meter eye. Besides I have a pile of 43mm filters and hoods and caps because I have a Pen F camera and several Zuiko's for it that take that size.
    Finally, full mechanical (not battery dependent) manual control when I want it! This is a biggie with me, I don't care how 'smart' the meter is.

9. DSCF6659.JPG Back up to the early 1950's & you will find my "ideal" compact. . The Vito II. While in Hawaii, I use this camera at least once a month for work in the Farmer's Markets or wondering around Honolulu. Only needs a monopod to be rock sharp. All the doo-dads go into one very small kit bag. Bill

10. Well I Personally like the styling on a lot of these compacts, but yeah in some cases I can see your point.

I fully agree on the 35RC though - I have one too and it's a wonderful little camera.

11. I am still partial to this little baby. But a compact like that Canon in the OP's post might be a nice change. For now though, TriX in this camera is a joy.

IMG_1890.JPG

12. That's nice.

I used to shoot a lot of XP2 through the camera in the OP, it was a nice combination.

13. Reading this thread earlier made me track down a Pentax IQ Zoom I acquired back in the 90's I think. It has a remarkably sharp lens and is simple, fairly quick. It won't replace any of my larger cameras but sometimes it is just right. I also have a couple of Agfa Ambi Silettes and would love to find a Trip 35 in working order.

Rick H.