Commercial Photography consulting

I would like to take my real estate photography business to the next level. I have done a few hotels, resorts, restaurants, and other commercial type shoots but nothing like what the big guys do. I have recently been contacted by the AP content department about some possible work as well as a major magazine and I realized how little I understand about the commercial world. I looked into joining my local ASMP but after doing some research, I found my local chapter is not very active. I could really use some advice from a working commercial photographer, especially one who specializes in hospitality. I would be grateful to pay him or her for their time. I am just not sure how appropriate it is to reach out to some one and offer pay for advice. Any thoughts?

Depends where you are located. I assume (after a google search) that ASMP is American Society of Media Photographers, so (obviously) best look at USA Publicists and Photographers Agents. A web search would be your friend. There are some older discussions in the Business Forum here at Photonet concerning Agents. I suggest telephoning a few and get a feel for what type of photographers they represent. I'd expect they won't want you on the 'phone for a long time so you'd best have your ducks in a row from the get go and you never know what information you might glean or what contacts you might find until you do some legwork.

What to look for? . . . well you mentioned that you were willing to pay a Photographer for advice as to how to set up your business, then I think that 30 minutes with an agent who has proven representation of photographers who work in that industry would be worthwhile - so I'd bee seeking agents with that track record, specifically.

WW