Comments on Ilford Classic Pearl

Hi Scott

I've got some Smooth Pearl so slightly different; my comments may be of use so here goes: I have an Epson C80 (pigment) and an Epson 1290 using Lyson (Quad Black dye based inks)

Feel and weight - very nice just like photographic paper; the Smooth Pearl is heavier than the Classic Pearl.

On the Epson C80 very nice; as I understand it the Classic Pearl is not suitable for pigment in printers but the smooth is.

On the Epson 1290 with Lyson inks - absolutely appalling; I get a yucky purply finish - not nice selenium just crap.

Any how - I'm back to the darkroom for black and white; computers and digital with MF negatives is too much of PITA.

Tapas

Hmmmm. I think the Ilford Smooth Pearl is the preferred paper when using dye! Its the one I use - and I love it. For pigmented inks the Classic seems to work better. I have used the Smooth with both my old 1270 and dye based 7600 (it comes both ways). I am also impressed with the b&w prints I get. Again, we are speaking dye, not pigment.

Cannot honestly comment from personal experience on the Smooth with pigment - such as the Epson 2200.

I tried this paper in a few different printers and my conclusions were mixed.

In my dye based 820 Classic Peal was unremarkable. Took too long to dry, colors were dull, and the paper couldn't hold detail. Best word I can describe the paper was 'murky'. If I want a coated 'pearl' or 'lustre' type paper I've had much better luck with the Espon brands. All of my art based papers like Epson HWM and Somerset velvet yielded better color saturation, brightness and much more detail.

I tried the Ilford on an HP 950 and it did MUCH better. Seems a really good match for the HP inks. Might be a better paper brand for the differing requirements of pigment based printers as well.

I'm using classic pearl through a Canon 950i (with Canon inks) and the results in color are stunning. I'm using the standard profile Canon deliver with the printer, and setting a media type of "Photo Glossy Pro". Black and white is less good (very slight cyan cast not present on genuine Canon Glossy Pro paper)but I'm sure I can balabnce that out when I have time.

Steve has it backwards:

The "Classic" galerie papers (gloss AND pearl) are for dye printing only - they are swellable-polymer papers like Epson ColorLife, and thus more archival (c. 26 years). In fact Both the Ilfords and the Epson paper are made in Switzerland - possibly even in the same factory.

"Smooth" Galerie papers will work on both dye and pigment printers, since they are micro-pore ceramic papers. They are not very archival, however - especially using dye inks. Expect orange fade within weeks.

Galerie Gloss is my favorite paper for color images (with pearl coming no. 2) - I use the Epson Colorlife print profile and it fits to a "T". It cuts way back on the tendency of Epson inks to go magenta at the drop of a hat, and the Colorlife printing profile seems to print into a smaller gamut, which makes for smoother, richer, and more life-like (but less brilliant) colors.